Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got done installing my FMIC for my paxton Novi 1000... I have a powerpipe for it, but I am running into a problem. I will have to cut a section of the fender area so I can fit both the powerpipe and the return for the FMIC. Instead of chopping up my car, will I see any noticeable decrease in boost or any power if I just pop the filter directly on the head unit and pack away the powerpipe for later use if I decide to chop the car up??

Thanks in advance for the advice! :rockwoot:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm not an expert on superchargers, but I have years of experience with industrial air compressors and fluid dynamics. From what I understand, the power pipe is basically a pipe that is supposed to go between the supercharger inlet and the air filter, correct? If so, attaching the filter directly to the inlet will not theoretically affect power in any way. What will affect the power; however, is the added heat from the engine compartment and the supercharger itself. Locating the air filter in the engine bay without any heat shielding will result in higher inlet temperatures.

In short, there should be no significant decrease in power or boost, with exception of the effect the added heat will have. The added heat might result in lower maximum boost due to hot air being less dense, but I doubt there will be a big difference in horsepower, not noticeable to you at least.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not an expert on superchargers, but I have years of experience with industrial air compressors and fluid dynamics. From what I understand, the power pipe is basically a pipe that is supposed to go between the supercharger inlet and the air filter, correct? If so, attaching the filter directly to the inlet will not theoretically affect power in any way. What will affect the power; however, is the added heat from the engine compartment and the supercharger itself. Locating the air filter in the engine bay without any heat shielding will result in higher inlet temperatures.

In short, there should be no significant decrease in power or boost, with exception of the effect the added heat will have. The added heat might result in lower maximum boost due to hot air being less dense, but I doubt there will be a big difference in horsepower, not noticeable to you at least.
I appreciate the lengthy and informative answer :)

I was thinking the same thing, and the fact that I have an intercooler how makes me feel like any heat from the engine bay won't really affect it too much!

Thanks for solidifying my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I appreciate the lengthy and informative answer :)

I was thinking the same thing, and the fact that I have an intercooler how makes me feel like any heat from the engine bay won't really affect it too much!

Thanks for solidifying my thoughts.
No problem! Would you mind posting some pics of your setup once your done, along with dyno numbers? :)

If you have an intercooler you'll be just fine!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem! Would you mind posting some pics of your setup once your done, along with dyno numbers? :)

If you have an intercooler you'll be just fine!
Not at all :)

I have work and school all week so I might have to finish up this coming weekend.. So I will post pics as soon as I can! As for the dyno, when I end up going (depends on cost!) I will post that up too :)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You can make it look clean and like factory with the right guy cutting the hole... I would surely incorporate the powerpipe, you'll gain a bump in boost.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry it took so long... I work full time plus I'm a student. Here are the pics of everything done! Unfortunately though, I had to ditch my fogs in order to fit the bumper back on...

Also, I put an elbow and then a filter on the SC... Didn't want to cut the car up :)

EDIT: the pictures didn't upload.. I'll fix that when i get home!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts