Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question. I have a 1996 GT that I picked up for my wife. It's an automatic and I am wondering if the overdrive should be turned off during drives on back roads? I am worried about screwing up the tranny by keeping the overdrive on. Any opinions as to what should be done? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
turning off overdrive is for increased engine braking and to help cut down on fuel use. it stops the engine from switching to the higher gears because changing gears takes alot of gas. it is mostly used in stop and go traffic. i dont know what kinds of speeds you travel at on your back roads but i would say probably keep it on. i dont think it will hurt the tranny bc the car always turns overdrive on when it starts up. also if its a wife driving she would probably forget to turn it on when she got up to higher speeds and be riding too high in the gears and burning gas... i have 3 women drivers in my house

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having overdrive off does not increase gas mileage it makes it worse. OD off will keep it from upshifting into the lowest gear possible. If you are going up and down roads where your car is having to downshift constantly to stay within the speed limit turn it off. Other then that leave it on, that is how you save gas.

G

·
OD is just your fourth gear. Leave it on unless you are constantly dropping in and out of gear going up hills and the like.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Having overdrive off does not increase gas mileage it makes it worse. OD off will keep it from upshifting into the lowest gear possible. If you are going up and down roads where your car is having to downshift constantly to stay within the speed limit turn it off. Other then that leave it on, that is how you save gas.
sorry i guess i wasnt clear. i was reffering to stop and go traffic like here in dc where you dont need to shift up but the transmission does so anyway.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The main problem I see is like a truck towing something heavy and it is in overdrive and it keeps shifting back and forth from 3rd to 4th gear like city driving with speeds that are not constant like 55mph or above and it causes problems....so for you if you are just cruising and you feel it shift back and forth from 3rd to 4th to much then I suggest turning it off but on the highway keeping a constant speed you want overdrive. The word overdrive basically states its self I have not heard of people having problems from having overdrive turned off when it is not needed but I am no tranny expert. Hope this helps you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts