Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everybody,

Long time lurker, first time posting. About a year ago, I came back home from a *ahem* lovely second tour of Afghanistan and decided to buy myself a treat: a car I can really enjoy. So, after a disappointing visit to a GM dealership (where they didn't even let me *test drive* a Camaro....even with a preapproved loan from my bank, blank check in my pocket!), my wife and I literally crossed the street to the Ford dealership and, next thing you know, I end up falling for a beautiful, black 2010 Mustang V6 Premium. I've enjoyed this car ever since! :yelpleased: Especially since it's the first Mustang I've ever owned.

But, now I'm a little mad at Ford. Not that I don't still absolutely enjoy my Mustang, but I feel like they introduced the new engine/powertrain offerings one model year too late. Just my opinion, of course.

In driving this car, I see the enormous potential of the Mustang platform. So much can be done, as I've learned by cruising through the V6 tech forums. I would put $$$ down on improving & lowering the suspension (to the chagrin of my wife :shigrin), installing a supercharger, upgrading the brakes and going dual exhaust. The mod $$$ would be saved up during an upcoming deployment (nothing slotted yet, but, while I'm still in the Army, I can count on at least *one* more deployment in the next 4 years).

So, here's the question I pose to you masters of the cult of Mustang. Should I keep my 2010 and save up a wad of cash for the mods-to-come? Or, should I trade in my 'Stang in 2014 in time for the Anniversary model?

I'd like to hear the debate, especially with the rumors surrounding what Ford might have in store for 2014.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't know what is in store for 2014. However, keep the V-6 and get a 2014, don't trade. The value or your 2010 won't be that great then, but the car still should be. If you need speed now, buy a '05-07 GT for cheap and mod it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, in three and a half years you can make the choice. I think that maybe if you really want a 50th Anniversary Mustang in 2014 you'll probably buy one.

I hope for Ford's sake the 2014 is modern looking, and not some tired S197 derivative.

Like SJ pony said hold onto your 2010 and buy a 2014.

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,580 Posts
I bought my 2010 V6 knowing what the 2011 V6 was going to be able to do.
No regrets what so ever.
Will I mod it? Yep already did the exhaust and saving for a CAI and a Tuner as well as a slight lowering kit and Sway bars.
Will it be as fast as a 2011 V6 in the quarter mile? Probably not, but I am still crazy enough to beat one in the twisties.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't know what is in store for 2014. However, keep the V-6 and get a 2014, don't trade. The value or your 2010 won't be that great then, but the car still should be. If you need speed now, buy a '05-07 GT for cheap and mod it.
agreed^

even a premium V6 in 5 years is going to be worth about half of what you paid. so if you paid about $24K-$25K for it, you will probably be able to sell it in 5 for around $11K-$13K (if you're lucky) this is going to be further compounded by the fact that you have a 2010, which has the old 210 hp V6 and not the newer 3.7L V6 with 305 hp, so less people will want the one you have by that time when they can spend a few extra dollars and have a 2011 V6 or the 4.6L GT.

keep it, do some mods and enjoy it, and save up for a good down payment in 2014.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
There's no telling what FORD will come up with in 2014. The Gov't is gonna make it hard for FORD to produce a Hot Motor that will get the mileage the Gov't may decide on.
Im kinda in the same boat as you, I also want the 2014 and by then My 07 PONY V6 Premium should have around 15,000 miles and still be in Mint Condition and Paid for. It will be hard to part with it, but if I dont get a fair price I'll just keep it and buy a new one, or newer one, depending what's comming up. 4 Years is along way off.
Thank's for your Service to our Country and God Bless You!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Look at it this way, I know ill be getting a 2014 when they come out :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everybody,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments! It's been a real twister of an internal debate for me on what I want to do with my 2010.

Ramaj, you make a good point about the possible future resale/trade-in value, especially since the 2010 represents what would be considered an "unusual" powertrain/body-style combo in light of what the 2011 model year brings in that category.

As for keeping it and getting a 2014, if I'm not still the Army by mid-2014, I just might go that route and make the 2010 a no-kidding project car. For right now, I would hate to see what it would look like moving to another base with 3 vehicles, including my wife's SUV!

Siber Express, I definitely have no regrets about getting my car when I did! I totally see the potential of this car -- the tech forums and the products available are definitely a testament to that.

The other reason, which I totally forgot to mention in my previous post, is that I figure the aftermarket will catch up and develop a decent selection of goodies to bolt onto the new 5.0 Coyote and 3.7L V6.

I mention the 2014's is, besides being the 50th anniversary, by that time, I'll have the car just about paid off. :winks

And, thanks for the appreciation, #1fordlover! :cooldude: I'm telling ya, the most terrifying part of my tour was trying to teach Afghan Army soldiers how to properly drive uparmored HumVees.

(BTW, did y'all know we're giving the Afghan Nat'l Army HumVees? As of last year? My guys and I were jealous because these vehicles were brand spanking new with the plastic still on the seats. I think maybe 25% of them are still in running condition, seeing how they have a very lax attitude towards maintenance.) :banghead:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree with the rest, keep your 2010 regardless of whether or not you want the 2014 50th Anniversary. I will definitely be purchasing one in 2014 but will keep this one as my daily driver, and I drive a lot at my current rate I will have over 90,000 miles in 4 years. I bought Mine the first week of November 2009 and now have 13,500 miles!

I am only doing basic mods, such as wheels/tires, CAI, Tune and Dual Exhaust. I will never take it to the track, and I don't street race.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, do you want to wait four years to enjoy your car, or do you want to have fun now? Pretty easy question to answer if you ask me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
the 2014 is basically 2.5 years away, and being the 50th anniversary edition you can bet its gonna be smokin hot with all kinds of new tech. whatever kind of motor it has it will be a burner. save your money get the 2014, its gonna be a wild sweet ride.:bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.