Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a nitrous system yet and don't know anything about it so please don't bash me.

If i bought a nitrous system is there a way i can keep it in my car without having it like connected or something, because I don't plan on using it on the street.

Just want to be legally covered.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can install it and even hook it up in your car. I do not know of any laws against it in any state. I have had NOS in my personal cars before, and never had a problem. The only thing that can get you in trouble with it, is if you decide to spray and act a fool in front of a police car... but even then, you would face speeding or reckless driving charges, nothing related to the bottle:bigthumbsup No worries there bro

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeap thats exactly right, having it installed and hooked up is totally legal its just USING it on the streets is whats bad but even then like fend3r said itll only be a speeding ticket, theres no way to prove you used nitrous when you get pulled over haha

·
Registered
432 Posts
If they can catch ya! HA HA:happyhapp

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
As far as I know, Virginia is the only state that has even tried to outlaw nitrous, and it didn't go very far. A bunch of cars were impounded back in 1990 for carrying a bottle in them at a street race that was busted, and at first the charges were "Illegal Power Adder". Nitrous Oxide Systems sent a lawyer down to represent the 30+ cars that were impounded for it, and the charges were changed to "Carrying a Compressed Gas without a license". That was beat in court because if you can't carry a nitrous bottle, that would mean you can't carry your propane bottle for your grill either. They eventually gave all the cars back, 2 months later, with a ticket of "Aiding and abedding an illegal Drag Race".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering because it seems like people are always trying to hide the bottle in their car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
they ttry to hide them because if they do street race or anything, the person they r racing cant see it. So the person hiding it will win

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yeah, its hidden to be sneaky against other races not the cops. A lot of people that hide the bottle and lines race for money, so any edge they can get that the opponent doesn't know about can be a big help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know some cops who have a bottle in their personal vehicles....:scratchchin

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
One thing to watch out for with our younger members is the fact that the sale of and possession of nitrous by minors is illegal (has to do with the drug abuse angle).

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
One thing to watch out for with our younger members is the fact that the sale of and possession of nitrous by minors is illegal (has to do with the drug abuse angle).
If it's automotive grade nitrous oxide, it's OK though. They put sulphur in it, so that if someone tries to inhale it, it makes them throw up, and sick enough to where they won't do it again. It's only illegal to have medical grade or whippets for minors.

M

·
0 Posts
As far as I know, Virginia is the only state that has even tried to outlaw nitrous, and it didn't go very far. A bunch of cars were impounded back in 1990 for carrying a bottle in them at a street race that was busted, and at first the charges were "Illegal Power Adder". Nitrous Oxide Systems sent a lawyer down to represent the 30+ cars that were impounded for it, and the charges were changed to "Carrying a Compressed Gas without a license". That was beat in court because if you can't carry a nitrous bottle, that would mean you can't carry your propane bottle for your grill either. They eventually gave all the cars back, 2 months later, with a ticket of "Aiding and abedding an illegal Drag Race".
The only thing I thought they could nail you for was "Improper transportation of a compressed gas"... But you kinda snuffed that with the propane thing... That's a damn good reason. I never thought of that :bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.