Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the differance between the two? and how much boost can the stock 2 v can take?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would save some money and look at the Tork Tech kit for your 4.6L 2v. stock the car makes about 235/240 at the tire. At 8.5 pounds of boost the kit makes 395-400 rwhp, which is about the limit for the stock 4.6L.
I do know of one guy in New york who has all good internals, good trans, etc. who at 18.5 pounds of boost is now at 581 rwhp with some stage I cams and Stage II heads from Fox Lake. Their web site is Tork Tech Inc. It is by FAR the best bang for the buck. Installed it should cost about $5500.00.

Ron

·
Registered
547 Posts
i would do the kenne bell 2.1. comparable price to the torq tech, and the performance to back it up. i helped my friend put the 2.1 on his 01 bullitt and that thing hauls. aint nothin like spinin the tires in 3rd gear at speed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Kenne Bell does not make the 1.7 anymore. The 2.1 replaced it.
I am very happy with my KB intercooled 2.1, and so are many people in this forum.
Did you order the intercooled kit? Get the 9# pulley, it will get you close to 400rwhp. Then, whenever you have the money for a forged shortblock, you can push the boost to 12 or 14# and maybe 550rwhp.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The minute you "step up" to the higher HP numbers with a KB is where it hurts you. The pulley upgrade, the bigger injectors, the new hood to clear the new pulley set up. At least with the Tork Tech kit, you don't have to buy any additional upgrades. Everything is there to go to 600 if you want. The other thing I like is the independent belt, that only runs the blower. By increasing the crank pulley size, you can also up the boost. Yuo Tube has some good testimonials on the product from JDM, HP Ranch, etc.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
+1 on the KB kit. I have the intercooled 2.1L kit and abosolutely love it, the torque, the scream, the whole 9 yards. You can get over 400rwhp easily with a proper tune. Well worth the money, and KB has a pretty good name that has been around.
I bet a KB on a Mach running 10psi could make upper 400's to the wheels maybe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The minute you "step up" to the higher HP numbers with a KB is where it hurts you. The pulley upgrade, the bigger injectors, the new hood to clear the new pulley set up. At least with the Tork Tech kit, you don't have to buy any additional upgrades. Everything is there to go to 600 if you want. The other thing I like is the independent belt, that only runs the blower. By increasing the crank pulley size, you can also up the boost. Yuo Tube has some good testimonials on the product from JDM, HP Ranch, etc.
The KB 2.1L does not require a hood change, as the Tork Tech and the KB 2.6L does (this was copied from the Tork Tech website):
"** Note: For clearance the stock hood needs to be modified and TTI offers an optional extended stealth hood scoop to provide a clean external appearance. An aftermarket raised Cobra R type hood, or equivalent design, will also provide proper clearance".
A new blower pulley (smaller for more psi) does not require a hood change with the KB. Also, the KB is now shipping with the 42# injectors (good for 600hp?).
I dont want to get in an argument here, just state the facts.
The Eaton/Magnuson appears to be a very high quality supercharger, and the fact that GM chose it for the new ZR1 Corvette and the new Caddy CTSV should say something.
Also, I think is good that there are more supercharger vendors, since competition will ultimately benefit us.
Something I did not like about the KB was the heat exchanger. It is small and cheap looking. The Tork Tech heat exchanger appears to be better. And the separate belt for the blower sounds like a good idea. Best wishes to you and to Tork Tech!

·
Registered
342 Posts
+1 on the KB kit. I have the intercooled 2.1L kit and abosolutely love it, the torque, the scream, the whole 9 yards. You can get over 400rwhp easily with a proper tune. Well worth the money, and KB has a pretty good name that has been around.
I bet a KB on a Mach running 10psi could make upper 400's to the wheels maybe.
Kenne Bell on a Mach 1 is killer! I have buddy's with Procharged Mach's and there is just no comparison. :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.