1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have that model, but I have heard good things about it. I currently have the Kenwood KVT911-DVD in my Explorer right now, and I love it. It's easy to use and I have had no problems with it. I can only imagine the new ones are even better. Good luck with your choice. :thumbsup It's a lot of $$$

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have pruchased from onlinecarstero.com and cardomain.com, both are usually much less expensive than crutchfield. I have not had to RMA anything to them though. I have not used kenwood before but i have heard nothing but good things. Crutchfield will let u echange/return the unit if it turns out that u hate it.
Good Luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a local dealer that will make me a good deal on the 8017. They also do installs for many of the local Ford dealerships in the area, so quality and service after the sale shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently purchased an Excelon 889 for $260 from the Good Guys in Studio City. The whole store is a blow out so hurry in if you are around LA.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have the DDX-7015 and absolutely love it. Also have the Sirius tuner for it and the KNAV4100 navigation system. Hooked up a rear view camera through one of the video inputs. Only thing I am missing is the music keg. But that is not that much of an issue since the head unit will read MP3s off of DVD disc. Can play 4.7 gig of MP3s right from the head unit. Plus they are easily hackable so that DVD video playback and full navigation functionality will work while the vehicle is in motion if you were so inclined to do so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have that exact model and I love it.

I have the Sirius as well, and it is great. I left room in the trunk to install the navigation at a later date.

Make sure the installers understand how picky you are when you go in. Set a high expectation. The faceplate that comes from Crutchfield is a little small, and I did not want anything to look other than factory. My place created one custon and it fits perfectly.

You won't be sorry. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive. Maybe that is the car.......

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alpine IVA-D300

:smoke: I have an Alpine IVA-D300 with touch screen with nav. and two screens on my headrests great 3D sound from the shaker 1000 just my 2cnts :eyepoppin

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the 7015 and I've been really pleased with it. I have the STR-903 Sirius, the Music Keg and the KNA DV4100 navigation... I like that everything just works well together. I just need the TV tuner to complete the set! I'm glad that people have caught on to reading MP3 DVD's even though the manual suggests that it isn't possible. The 8017 is basically the same, but it adds mpg and divx playback, and more stylish menus. One complaint I have is that during dvd playback, the dvd menu is not touch screen. Not a big deal to use the remote, but it seems so simple to implement. Not sure if the 8017 fixes that. I think that there is only one head unit out there that does it...I think it is a Pioneer? The 7015 (and I'm sure the 8017) is a solid head unit, and you can get them a lot cheaper than crutchfield if you search around the net. I would definitely buy again, probably the 8017.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents as well... I used to work in car stereo, and I can tell you that Alpine makes the best in-dash screens. In my last Mustang ('00) I had the Alpine IVAD900. Bad ass! It has the largest screen (7" widescreen) with the most pixels (1.3million). I guess it depends on if you want a flip-out in-dash, or a flush-mount. Don't worry. I'm not doggin the Kenwood. But watch out for touchscreens. They tend to go out easily with regular use.

Peace

·
Registered
40 Posts
hawgman said:
I have the DDX-7015 and absolutely love it. Also have the Sirius tuner for it and the KNAV4100 navigation system. Hooked up a rear view camera through one of the video inputs. Only thing I am missing is the music keg. But that is not that much of an issue since the head unit will read MP3s off of DVD disc. Can play 4.7 gig of MP3s right from the head unit. Plus they are easily hackable so that DVD video playback and full navigation functionality will work while the vehicle is in motion if you were so inclined to do so.
Did you install it yourself? I was thinking of purchasing the DDX-7017, with a Sirius tuner and the music keg and was wondering how hard it was to hook up the wiring. Were you able to just plug in the connectors or did you have to make adjustments? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
76 Posts
The new Alpine touchscreen head units have PulseTouch, which makes the touchscreen feel like real buttons, knobs, and sliders. Pretty cool concept, but I went with Kenwood since I already had the keg and sirius from my old car, and i wanted it all to integrate perfectly

·
Registered
767 Posts
Joemax said:
Did you install it yourself? I was thinking of purchasing the DDX-7017, with a Sirius tuner and the music keg and was wondering how hard it was to hook up the wiring. Were you able to just plug in the connectors or did you have to make adjustments? Thanks in advance
Rather than type everything out again, here is a link to another forum from my original post on the install
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=24873
The installation was pretty easy. That link will have all the part numbers for the harness adaptor, the mounting kit, discuss putting a voltage regulator on the amp on signal wire and stuff. I did not have the navigation unit when I wrote that up, but it is pretty simple to do. I have sense then replaced all the speakers and amps also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts