Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2006 Mustang yesterday. I was wondering if it I really need to buy an additional key from the dealer for $100 or if a $2 from a locksmith will do the trick

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
brianb said:
I picked up my 2006 Mustang yesterday. I was wondering if it I really need to buy an additional key from the dealer for $100 or if a $2 from a locksmith will do the trick
i donno but $100 is ridiculous. is that really what they are charging?! check ebay. i was browsing the other day and saw numerous auctions for factory keystock for $15 to $20. has the ford logo and is advertised to be genuine ford product. buy that and take it to have a key made. hopefully the keys dont have to be programmed veh specific. if so, better get ready to part with a ben franklin.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can go to a true lock smith (not Walmart, Homedepot, or Lowes) and buy a programable key from them. Have it cut and you can do the programing.

Here are the steps:

1. You will need the 2 keys that came with the car and the new key.

2. Insert one of the original keys into the Ign and turn it until the lights
on the dash come on. (DO NOT CRANK or START the ENGINE)

3. Now turn off the Ign. and remove the key.

4. Install the second key and do the same as with the first key.

5. Now install the new key that the lock smith made and turn on the Ing
until the dash lights come on. (DO NOT CRANK or START the ENGINE)

6. Now turn off the Ign. and then turn the Ing. switch back on and crank
the engine. The engine should start being the key is now programed.

7. If the engine only cranks then start from step one again. This must all
be done with in 1 min. and can be done to 5 extra keys.
You must use the two keys that came with the car.

I have to do this on the new (Ford) cars that are bought for Department Heads and I have done this for the 05 and 99 Mustangs that I have.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
As long as you have two programmed keys already, you can program an extra one off of e-bay easily. Tells how in the owners manual. You don't need to spend the extra from the dealer, what a rip-off.

edit: woops, CityDave beat me to it...

·
Registered
294 Posts
when the Mrs. had her Expedition I had a plain flat key cut for a hideaway emergency spare 'just in case' the keys got locked in. It would unlock the doors but that was it.

I agree with 2K5, eBay is your friend. blanks are plentiful and cheap. be sure that it has a transponder chip.
I don't know about now but there used to be a limit of 10 keys that the computer would learn.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
brianb said:
Didn't they give you 2 sets?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I did the same thing for my 00' Wrangler. The only thing that key will do is open the door and start the engine for all of 5 seconds. There really isn't anything inside of it to steal.

brnrkm said:
when the Mrs. had her Expedition I had a plain flat key cut for a hideaway emergency spare 'just in case' the keys got locked in. It would unlock the doors but that was it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
He probably does have 2 sets, but if one gets lost, the whole car has to be re-programmed to make a new set. You need two programmed keys to make a third, so it's good to have an extra NOW when it's cheap in case one gets lost. If you loose one and Ford has to do it for you, it'll be a minimum of a hundred...you don't wanna know how I know this...:rolleyes:

G

·
i just had an extra one programmed at the dealer when i picked up my 2006....i just bought one with me...i keep the other at home...he programmed a new one easy

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I would definitely get the third key now. 2K5 Legend's got it right. You need the two keys the car came with in order to program the third. If you've lost the 2nd key, you're SOL.

$200.00 doesn't sound right though. That key should only be about $20.00. That's how much it was for my F-150. I was supposed to get my third key for my '05 GT for my birthday last week, but Wifey forgot. I'll be going to the dealership this week.

G

·
like i said...i only bought one key with me when i got the third...i left the other one...premier ford guy took me to the machine to make it himself

·
Registered
90 Posts
Accessories from the Dealer

Just for what it's worth, guys...

When you're making the deal, get them to do a "we owe" on a 3rd programmed key. When getting our 05 black GT, we settled on the price (below MSRP) and I asked if they would include some things in the deal. A 3rd key, a Mustang custom-fit car cover, & wheel locks. They did these and also put in a full tank of gas and the 1st oil change would be free. It never hurts to negotiate things that you want as part of the deal. If they say no, what have you lost? If you don't ask, you don't get the add-ons -- if you ask, you might be surprised what the dealer will do. When I picked it up, the car had been washed and detailed out with the red floor mats put in place. She gleamed like a -- what else? -- a new car !!! She's sitting in the garage right now covered with the exact fit car cover with M U S T A N G on the back with plastic license plate window and a Mustang running horse on the front. My point is -- ask for things you want -- you may get them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts