Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject line pretty much says it all. The key’s stuck in the ignition in my ’05 Mustang and won’t pull out. The switch won’t quite return to the discharge position, hence the problem. Not sure if it’s drawing power from the battery or not. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution, or do I have to turn it into the dealer for a new lock mechanism? :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Is the wheel lock possibly causing this? Try moving the wheel back and forth while trying to remove the key.

Frank

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
try turning the key on and moving the shifter back to park. there is also a brake transmission shift interlock switch that prevents the shifter from moving without your foot on the brake and the key from being removed. there is a override switch for it under the little oval cap on the rt side of the shifter bezel.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.

It does have an auto trans and it was just missing being in park all the way by a quarter of an inch. Keys came right out once I corrected that. Seems like a weird feature to me, I guess they consider it a safety thing?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.

It does have an auto trans and it was just missing being in park all the way by a quarter of an inch. Keys came right out once I corrected that. Seems like a weird feature to me, I guess they consider it a safety thing?
Correct, it's a safety feature

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Odd thing is that the car started normally, which is what threw me. I didn’t think it would start if it wasn’t in park all the way. Guess there’s multiple sensors/switches for the separate functions.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Odd thing is that the car started normally, which is what threw me. I didn’t think it would start if it wasn’t in park all the way. Guess there’s multiple sensors/switches for the separate functions.
you can do a little test. put your foot on the brake, turn the key to on and move the shifter handle to each position. if the car will crank in any position besides park, the shifter cable is out of adjustment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.