Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here is my situation:

I went the start the car the other day and when I tried to turn the key and crank it the key binded up and wouldn't turn far enough. I can turn it enough to get the power on and fuel pump but I cant crank it. It feels like there is something binding up so that it cant move. I got around it by popping the hood and taking the plug shaped wire off little module on the fire wall (not sure what it is called) and connected that with power to get it to crank. Does anyone know what I should do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try replacing the ignition switch. Then if that doesn't work you may need a new lock cylinder.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Sounds like the lock cylinder needs replacing. They're not hard or expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Okay so i replaced the ignition switch and now the key will turn all the way from off to run to crank smoothly. Only problem is all the positions work except for crank. i connected a multi-meter from the ground on battery to the post on the module and there is no power (the key was turned on when I did this also). What do you think is happening?

sorry for the confusion .. when I say module I meant the starter solenoid located on under the hood.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Now check the wiring and the harness leading to the switch. See if any is broken, burnt or disconnected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.