Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this problem: my wife's v6 stang has had a issue with the remote door lock / trunk FOB not working at all sometimes and then sometimes it will work only up close next to the car, other times not at all and using the manual key itself was needed to unlock the car. But mere minutes later or after a short drive it will lock and unlock from long distance like the day it was purchased.

So far: tried spare key unit - same results changed batteries in both key units - same results. I even put her batteries into my unit for my 5.0 and it works as far out as 100 yds.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Mine finikey sometimes. Occasionally I can be 10 feet away it doesn't work. Then other times I could be across a parking lot very far away and it will work. Not very consistent. Lol call me stupid but I find that when you put.your key fob under your chin you get crazy extended rage on it. Not sure if its using your head as an antenna or what but it works lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the receiver not the transmitter.

The only problem I have with my key is in winter if you open the trunk with key the latch sticks making a machine gun sound as it repeatedly tries to open itself. Have to either hit button a few times for it to stop or pop trunk from inside car. Opening trunk from inside car with button no problem though. The sound is also very annoying and embarrassing. I would just bring it in to dealer and have them look at it. Unfortunately the first thing they'll ask you is "Did you try changing the battery?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol bluebyu i will have to try that one. but yeah i figured it was the receiver in the car hopefully someone has had this and a definite fix for it. the dealership says if they cannot duplicate it the can't justify a part swap. fun times.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm going to try and revive this thread rather than start a new one. I am having the same exact problem as the OP on my '13. Randomly, I cannot get my FOB to work. This is pretty often too, maybe 50/50. Both FOBs do the same thing. Generally, the problem seems to be right after I've driven. I don't believe I have the problem once the car has sat for an extended period. The car is quite new and I only have 2k mi on it. This is really annoying and I would like to avoid going to the local (small town) stealership. Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just started having the same issue and i am at 3k miles now. It is very annoying! I have to keep pressing the button and eventually it works but yes it is a issue i see that might be more common that we thought!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does the problem happen for the trunk opening button and panic button on your guy's fobs as well?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, when this starts happening, the all 4 buttons (lock, unlock, panic, trunk) do it. I think that could be indicative of the receiver or the FOB. Since I have tried 2 different FOBs. When it works, it works. When it doesn't work, I can stand directly next to the car and it doesn't work. With all that in mind, it seems to be on the receiver end.

G

·
My Taurus does this on occasion, and my first thought was battery. It does not happen very frequent, and it clears right up. My thinking is that it may be the system has a rotating code sequence and every now and then, gets out of sync. Once it does work, it may reset. No real proof, but worth speculation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's a good thought. I hope that's not it though, because if it is, then there will not likely be an easy fix. And unfortunately, it appears to be far more frequent on my car that on your Taurus.

Basically, once I have started my car, the FOB will not work again until the car has been off for at least a minute. So when I park it, I can stand there pushing buttons for at least a minute before it will suddenly respond. I find myself having to lock it with the button on the door.

You may be onto something though. I'm sure I will just have to take it to the stealership soon. I am bummed. I owned my 03 Nissan Altima for 9 years with no (and I mean no) problems. I decide to drop $26k on a Ford and things aren't working like they should. This is in addition to a couple problems with SYNC.:(

G

·
Computers are the pride and the bane of auto manufacturers. Sync has knocked Ford from the top of the list for reliability, to the middle. It took the wind out of the sails of mercedes and BMW, among others. The problem is that they are trying to do more and more, and often find they have outstrip the capacity of their customers, or created a product that has bugs they did not conceive of. Ford made the mistake of going with Microsoft, when they are struggling to come to grips with the concept of consumer products. If they had worked with Apple, or another company with strong consumer programming skills, they would have been better off. Add the issue of trying to maintain high flows of electronic components, at rock bottom prices, and things can get irritating.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sounds like the GEM module is acting up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts