Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any info on how to install a kill switch and where to get the parts from. I have read a few articles on kill switches, but none of them go into detail on where to hook them up to. I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best(ie. where should I connect it to, where should I put the switch.) I would also like to know where I can get a fuel shut off valve from if anyone knows. A friend told me there there is a joint near the drivers door, and he had one installed there on his old mustang, but it was installed before he bought the car. I have checked autozone and some other local parts stores online, but nothing comes up.

If it helps I have a 65 200ci Coupe

·
Registered
18 Posts
19pony,

Check out JEGS or other drag racing sites for info on fuel shut offs.
they would have alot of info.. one good site with nice drag racing folks is:
classracer.com hope this helps

·
Registered
360 Posts
19pony-by kill switch do you mean something to disconnect the battery or a switch to secretly disable the ignition?
For a fuel line shutoff you could use a manual valve for two tanks and plug the openings for the unused tank. That would stop the flow when the empty position was selected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
19pony actually thanks for asking the question that i never could really word right, but i was actually wondering about one to secretly disable the ignition, and where is a good place to get one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the responces. Yes I was looking for something to disable the ignition. Acooljt, Thank you for the info on the SPST switch, how would I wire it up though? A wire ran from the soleniod (on the terminal that runs to the starter) to the switch and then from the switch to a ground? So that when the switch is open it would be grounded out, and closed it would be a normal circuit? If that is or isn't the way I should hook it up, what gauge wire should I use?

And Putt, would you have any idea where the best place to get a manual duel valve from? Local Parts store maybe?

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
If it was me, I would put the switch one the wire running from the ignition switch to the solenoid, all you would have to do is wire it in. Tis way, it will act like a bad solenoid if someone trys to steal the car

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wired up a SPST toggle switch INLINE with the ignition wire to the coil, that way it disables the ignition system so it has no spark. Do not, however cut the resistance wire under the dash(larger pink wire), cut the wire before or after the resistance wire. 16 gauge would be plenty large enough.

Hooking up to the solenoid would disable the starter, but that could easily be jumped at the solenoid to crank the engine(screwdriver is all that's needed).

The tank valve should be available at a local parts store(NAPA, Carquest), I doubt that Schucks, Kragen type stores would have it.

BTW, neither of the small wires on the starter solenoid goes to ground, one activates the starter(marked S) the other bypasses the ignition resistance wire while cranking(marked I). pita is correct in his method to disable the solenoid.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)Many good sugestions so far.How I always did it was to unplug the resistor wire behind the dash.The fat pink wire with the sheathing on it is the resistor wire.It plugs into a red wire with a stripe.You unplug that,as if to wire up a factory tach,buy yourself a single speed wiper switch,run the two wires through it and install it where the cigarette lighter goes.If you want to get real slick with it,you can remove the lighter bezel that says 'lighter' and hook that to the new wiper switch so that it looks exactly like a lighter.Hope that helps.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.