Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly for 05 GT guys (since the mod market is so limited)...I was going to ask for a run-down on what yr SS or TA/Formula to fear/not. But after an hour or so at edmunds I came up w/ this...One should assume that if said f-body cares to run in the first place he'll be modded to an extent. You'll know it 'cause you'll hear it if heavily modded (ie., cammed, blown, etc). Bottom line you better at least have gears and intake/tune before challenging. from the looks of it the '00 SS is pretty nasty. and couldn't find any info as to whether the 01/02 SS was any lighter than the Z28's. I only listed the Formula's as the TA's are usually about 50lbs heavier w/ the same hp/tq

05GT = 300/320 3450 11.50

SS
yr .hp/tq .wt .p/w rat
02 310/340 3439 11.09
01 310/340 3439 11.09
00 320/345 3306 10.33
99 320/335 3442 10:44
98 320/335 3442 10:44
97 285/325 3442 12.07
96 305/335 3300 10.82

Formula
02 310/340 3452 11.36
01 310/340 3452 11.36
00 305/335 3341 10.95
99 305/335 3341 10.95
98 305/335 3455 11.33
97 285/325 3311 11.62
96 285/325 3452 12.11
95 275/325 3373 12.66

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, if anyone can reply w/ the distinguishing appearance characteristics of the SS and TA by model yr that would be great. thx

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
2002 was the last model year for both the Trans-Am and Camaro SS. They both offered 310-320hp 340lbs torque options. Both weighing about the same as the 05. So you dont have to assume that theyre modded just because they want to run. They have plenty of hp right out of the factory.

The Trans-Am WS6 model will have flip up lights, twin hood scoops, honeycomb tail lights and WS6 badging in the rear. The Camaro SS will have a single hood scoop, exposed headlights, and SS badging in the rear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that info. i knew they went out in 02 (shame actually) but as far as what yr the headlights all went rounded i wasn't sure of.

i'm pretty new (returned) to the scene so i may be off base but i have to assume that usually a willing/able f-body will in fact be at least mildly modded since the ls-1/6 aftermarket is so rife w/ bang-for-the-buck bolt-ons. i mean, who wouldn't mod their f-body? perhaps take all those previous posted #'s and assume +50fwhp (40-ish rw) on average. at the very least, it gives me a # to shoot for and feel confident in who i feel like challenging - never felt like more of a punk than when i challenged and lost. of course that guy was all motor but p&p'd and cammed. :worship

consider me....regrouping

thx again

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I had a buddy that had a 97 T/A. He had the heads ported and polished, hot cam, complete exhaust and gears. That thing was putting down 375 rwhp and was a beast. Too bad they handled like pigs. I used to stick right on his bumper in my wife's Probe GT on the twisties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went to automotive tech school in Chicago a few years ago and there was a class there called Hot Rod U. One class we'd build a carbureted chevy 350, put it in a T-Bucket chassis, run it on the chassis dyno and upgrade parts and keep running it with each new part. Simply a trial by error demonstration of what could be done to an engine to make HP. The other class was street legal performance. We had several Mustangs and F-bodies there. The Mustangs responded great to the mods, whereas the F-bodies didn't, especially the LS1's. After we'd put every bolt-on on, exhaust, chip, intake, ignition, throttle body, it would gain maybe 15HP at the wheels. Mustangs were building close to 30-40 HP! The only mod they responded great to was the nitrous. So, just because its been modded, doesn't mean the car responds well to the new parts. Just my experience with old, worn-out cars.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ha! I love this thread. I have beat Fbodies that I have no idea if they were modded or not up until I think about a 96. Unless you get a ss or a ws6, they start light and go down smooth:)
As for the probe comment, thats not really fair. My brother owns a 94 probe Gt and they are some of the most rigid, well handling cars I have ever drove. Not bad performance either! Good luck on your quest! And remember use the force :drool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't even bother with anything older than a few yrs althoug i know there's a 95 and 96 in there. To me they start fading into a different class around 96 and thus my lessened interest for running with one since they've probably needed a re-work. At that point they've either out-classed me b/c they've probably built it up better OR if not, what's the pride in beating up on an old worn out FB. Keep in mind I'm the one throwing down the gauntlet

As for LS-1's not responding to mods this flies in the face of everything i've seen/heard (not that I've been there personally). Hell w/ exhaust alone I though those guys are picking up like 15rw.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, you should fear the SS and WS6. Both are faster than your 05 GT stock for stock, of course. Just race, you're a slight underdog... so what? If they're modded you might get owned, but either way just give them a thumbs up and no biggie. Think about it, even if you lose you have a 300 HP 05 GT, and you're faster than at least 85% of the daily drivers on the road.

In my book you're both winners, I could probablly slightly beat a geo metro in my p.o.s. but we're still both losers.

·
Registered
736 Posts
blackened said:
I didn't even bother with anything older than a few yrs althoug i know there's a 95 and 96 in there. To me they start fading into a different class around 96 and thus my lessened interest for running with one since they've probably needed a re-work. At that point they've either out-classed me b/c they've probably built it up better OR if not, what's the pride in beating up on an old worn out FB. Keep in mind I'm the one throwing down the gauntlet

As for LS-1's not responding to mods this flies in the face of everything i've seen/heard (not that I've been there personally). Hell w/ exhaust alone I though those guys are picking up like 15rw.
Don't underestimate the 93' and up Z28s with a 6 speed. They are fast little boogers, especially on top end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.