Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidently added a small amount of brake fluid to my power steering. I talked to 2 mechanics and one from Pepboys said that it wont hurt anything since is was a very small amount but the other one from Autozone said it will damage the steering system. I am really freakin out about this; I dont know who to believe. Please help !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Um I dont want to jump to any of my own conclusions,so what was your reasoning for doing this??? Grabbed wrong bottle? Dont know the steering from the braking? You're just plain reatarded as hell? lol, You can visually omitt the last option lol. Sorry I dont really know the differences in materials of the 2 so I cant really help. But I can say that the people at AutoZone are constantly telling me that stuff I do wont work or some special part isnt the right one and what not and most of the time I know more than they do. But I never really hear much about Pepboys, but what I do hear isnt bad, so I dunno.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Wow man, that was kinda harsh and uncalled for. There's no need to be mean when someone asks a question. Anyway, I would try to flush the power steering with fresh fluid. Probably not a bad idea to do anyway. Be sure you pick up the power steering fluid this time though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It was a joke, sorry I apologize didnt mean to offend anyone. Just trying to lighten the situation up for the poor guy with the issue.

Yes but like he said draining the fluid and putting in fresh could only help the situation. Just out of curiosity, have you driven it to see if it feels weird or makes any weird noises?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I Agree

Much too harsh!!! I went to another mustang forum the other night and asked a question about the workings involved in using nitrous. The first response was smart a ass answer: push button and step on gas. It plain irked me. If you have nothing useful to say, then don't.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Flush it out. Brake fluid is really bad about retaining moisture and you do not want water in that pump!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely flush the system, brake fluid will do no good to your steering system! Think about it brake fluid can remove paint, power steering fluid is oil! Flush the system and put the correct fluid in it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I should have clarified the situation a little more. The reason I accidently put brake fluid in the power steering is because I needed to change both brake and steering fluids and I also needed new brake pads for my front brakes. Although the brakes were still good and could wait, I didnt want to forget about them so I was thinking about the brakes when I accidently asked for brake fluid instead of steering. (On top of everything, I forgot about getting the brake pads, although I dont know how that happened). Anyways, I flushed the steering fluid and everything is fine and new brake pads are going on today.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sweet deal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.