Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right place to post this or not and i know its a long shot but i was planning on getting some 20in kmc km685 wheels for my 2013 mustang gt only that they have now discontinued them and i was wondering if any of you guys knew of a wheel thats really simular or something thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
3,960 Posts
I never understood why a wheel company would ever discontinue a wheel. They're all just basically made from CNC programs with a proper wheel blank and then coated. It shouldn't be too hard for them to just make a set of 4 on request even if you had to wait a while for a pattern change on their production line.
In any case those look pretty generic from a 5 star wheel point of view as in there's not a lot of distinguishing details/characteristics to it. With all the wheel companies out there these days I'm sure that you can find something that's real close in to it though.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
yeah that is a fairly generic looking design, I don't know the names but have seen similar wheels ... I'd check American Muscle, LMR, Tire Rack, maybe Steeda

·
Diehard Ford-Fan
2005 Mustang V6 Windveil Blue
505 Posts
Forgestar cf5, verde v09 spry, ferrada fr3, vossen cv3r, avant garde agl16, victor equipment baden, avant garde m550, niche scuderia 5, rotiform wgr, xxr 575

Thats what i have in my "rim ideas" folders, as long as you don't get too wild with your width and offest goals they'll work with you too (xxr and esr have stopped returning my emails 😆)

Reactions: JBert

·
Administrator
6,087 Posts
Moved to the Wheels, Tires forum.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never understood why a wheel company would ever discontinue a wheel. They're all just basically made from CNC programs with a proper wheel blank and then coated. It shouldn't be too hard for them to just make a set of 4 on request even if you had to wait a while for a pattern change on their production line.
In any case those look pretty generic from a 5 star wheel point of view as in there's not a lot of distinguishing details/characteristics to it. With all the wheel companies out there these days I'm sure that you can find something that's real close in to it though.
At about $200 a pop for 20"+ rims, I highly, highly doubt these are cnc machined wheels. I can't find the manufacturing process listed anywhere, which is a pretty good indicator that they're gravity cast, which is the cheapest, weakest, and/or heaviest way to make wheels. If the weight specs I saw are accurate, I'm right, too.

If you care about weight and/or strength, you should find a wheel that is at least low pressure cast, or better yet, flow formed (aka rotary forged where the outer barrel is forged).

Fully forged or cnc machined wheels are obviously the best/lightest/strongest, but they cost a small fortune.

·
Diehard Ford-Fan
2005 Mustang V6 Windveil Blue
505 Posts
Around $4-600 you're looking at flow-formed average prices, high $600 and up you'll get into the cnc prices and "race" rims all the way up to ~$1k each
Sources: mfg direct sites, carid, fitment industries, AM.
I stay away from LMR for rims because they hit you with a premium but they're still good for ideas. As always, research before you buy to find what you're looking for and know what you're getting

Reactions: Redrocket9.0

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
3,960 Posts
At about $200 a pop for 20"+ rims, I highly, highly doubt these are cnc machined wheels. I can't find the manufacturing process listed anywhere, which is a pretty good indicator that they're gravity cast, which is the cheapest, weakest, and/or heaviest way to make wheels. If the weight specs I saw are accurate, I'm right, too.

If you care about weight and/or strength, you should find a wheel that is at least low pressure cast, or better yet, flow formed (aka rotary forged where the outer barrel is forged).

Fully forged or cnc machined wheels are obviously the best/lightest/strongest, but they cost a small fortune.
Idk what the price point for the wheels he is trying to match up are. I didn't bother to look since they're pretty plain looking and should be easy to find something very similar.
You seem to know quite a bit about wheel manufacturing so how are most factory wheels made?

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
pretty sure most factory wheels are cast, except for some of the higher end ones which are forged ... for example the "good" SVT GT500 wheels from a few years back were forged ... but Ford OEM is probably "better cast" than the super-cheap Chinese-manufactured ones like American Muscle sells

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think low pressure casting is the most common oem method, but I'm sure some oem wheels are gravity cast if its a relatively low stress rim made with a lot of material like a bulky SUV wheel. Those are some freaking boat anchors, though. The pressures used in pressure casting vary, with increasing pressure resulting in increased strength/reduced weight.

My main point, though, was that they can't just load up a cad file and zip out a set of cheap wheels. My guess as to why a wheel line is discontinued would be that the mold is shot, lost, or sold. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I was just thinking about dragging my old signature from the Fusionsportforum where I was a mod, and noticed it's almost the exact same as @JBert lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts