Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 1996 3.8 liter V6 automatic Mustang that is having some problems. Recently my car started making a loud knocking noise when I start it up and while it drives. I've checked the oil and it is milky. Also there is some oil getting into my coolant lines. When I first purchased the car the guy told me the engine had been rebuilt but he didn't show me any proof. My car drove fine and sounded good for about two months straight. But now when I start it up and am driving it down the road it makes a loud knocking noise. One of my friends had drove the car before the issue started and told me he got it up to about 115 mph. That made me uneasy and very upset with him. My car drove fine before this and now I'm stuck trying to find out if I need to get a new engine or if the current one could still be saved. Hopefully it can be saved because I am an expecting mom in about 6months so I don't have too much time or money to waste! Any one please help if you think you might have a good solution or even know the issue. Thank you:)

Sincerely,
Jennfacepalm2.gif

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hello I have a 1996 3.8 liter V6 automatic Mustang that is having some problems. Recently my car started making a loud knocking noise when I start it up and while it drives. I've checked the oil and it is milky. Also there is some oil getting into my coolant lines. When I first purchased the car the guy told me the engine had been rebuilt but he didn't show me any proof. My car drove fine and sounded good for about two months straight. But now when I start it up and am driving it down the road it makes a loud knocking noise. One of my friends had drove the car before the issue started and told me he got it up to about 115 mph. That made me uneasy and very upset with him. My car drove fine before this and now I'm stuck trying to find out if I need to get a new engine or if the current one could still be saved. Hopefully it can be saved because I am an expecting mom in about 6months so I don't have too much time or money to waste! Any one please help if you think you might have a good solution or even know the issue. Thank you:)

Sincerely,
Jennfacepalm2.gif

In most cases water in the oil is caused by three possibilities
a blown head gasket, a cracked head, or a cracked block.
Most likely it is a blown head gasket. The fact that your engine
is knocking could be more costly to repair. This person you call
a friend obviously isn't . I make it a rule not to lend my car to
anyone. You never know what could happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would take it around town, to at least 3 different places and get it checked, right away. get their opinions and free estimates. Then figure out what to do about it. And then I'd tell that friend to hit the road.

(no one drives my car, unless I'm a passenger. NO EXCEPTIONS.)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Uh-oh. I want to have the best possible bedside manners here while your baby is not well. But it's probably best to tell you here, so that your mechanic doesn't seem like they're trying to gouge you.

Do you have white smoke coming out the tailpipes? Oil in the coolant and milky white color in the oil likely means a headgasket is blown. The 94-98 V6's are notorious for blowing headgaskets, due to a design flaw. Couple that with the fact that pressure in the cylinders has to escape somewhere, and the headgasket is the weakest link in the chain since it's really only a thin layer of metal. Excess heat in the combustion chamber will do it, as will coolant that is infrequently changed (coolant is mostly water and once coolant loses it's ability to both cool and to inhibit rust in the system, this eats away at the headgaskets).

Your friend, at 115mph on the highway, was likely taking your car out to see what the car is made of......and likely blew a headgasket, and the car could have blown a piston rod, or messed up the piston and/ or bearings. Coolant mixed in with the oil dilutes the oil and then the oil loses its ability to lubricate and protect parts......especially when going 115mph. We don't know at what point the headgaskets gave out during that highway run.....but we do know that the friend drove the car back, and that's not good for the car. If you blow the gaskets and realize when it happens, you can minimize the damage--but when the signs are there, it's best to pull over immediately and get the car towed.

You can go to a shop, but they'll likely tell you that the gaskets are gone and that you have damage to one or more of your pistons/ rods/ bearings. Probably a $1500-$2500 repair, but it's smarter just to get a whole new engine for a few hundred dollars and have the mechanic swap it in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
From what you said more than likely it is a blown head gasket and some engine damage has occured....the only to be sure is have a reputable shop do a Block Check on it to see if it is a blown head gasket not...These days its cheaper in some cases to buy a remanufactured engine with a warranty than get one from a junk yard as many people I know have done....First step is getting it diagnosed properly and go from there...Good luck!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
That friend is a piece of sh*t....sorry to hear he/she ruined your car...

These guys are right on par. Worse case, new engine...best case, new head gaskets...sounds like it's worst case.

Congratulations on the baby! My wife is due in late Feb :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all very much!

I do believe I'm just going to put a new engine in my car. Thanks for all of the advice on the issue...it's a terrible situation but things always get better:) As for now I'm just taking things one day at a time because the extra stress isn't helping any one or any thing. And yes I do believe my friend was just trying to see what my car would do and obviously it couldn't do too much lol!! Ohh well...another day another dollar or in this case a grand :heha:

Sincerely,
Jennwrenchin.gif

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well Jenn, I admire your great attitude and trying to find the positives in a bad situation. Good karma goes a long way.

·
Registered
253 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts