Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love the 03 cobra. I think pound for pound, its one of the best mustangs produced and with only a few mods/bolt ons, 500hp is right around the corner. Which is why I really don't like to race them too much, cuz I realize theres a good chance I'll get my hat hung. Or not. Last nite this Biff Malibu dude pulls up in a yellow 03 cobra, revs the engine and says, "you cant touch the cobra". No class whatsoever. He just made the car "look" bad. So I made it look worse. I put out my cig and went thru the ritual of switching of the trac control, and steadily raising the rpm to bout 2600rpm. At idle, you can barely make out a hint of blower whine from the NOVI 2000 set at 11.5psi. Out the gates, I roll the car out, careful not to break the tires and lose traction, which, surprisingly never fails to keep up with overanxious opponents such as Biff. Then, I double clutch my 2-3 shift which spits me out past the SVT. At fourth I was gone. He never recovered, never pulled, but just stayed on my hip with the sound of blower whine thru to 130mph. When we pulled up at the next lite, I told him he sucked and blasted off into the darkness.

NOVI 2000, Bullitt intake, FRPP forged pistons, JBA shorties, 3in Magnaflow w/ X-pipe, FRPP 3.73s, MAC coldair and MAF, Underdrive pulleys, Centerforce dual friction clutch, Diablo Sport chip - "go baby go" NOS w/ button

·
Registered
567 Posts
just wondering :confused: why double clutch from 2nd to 3rd??

I thought double clutch method is use when your shifting from a high gear to a lower gear?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
AUSTINSCOBRA said:
just wondering :confused: why double clutch from 2nd to 3rd??

I thought double clutch method is use when your shifting from a high gear to a lower gear?
Think he meant speedshifted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, I kept messing up with the post cuz my cpu kept freezing up, so I figured I'd do it over. Whatever, I suck.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
YORCHI said:
NEWBE QUESTION:
How the hell do you double shift, I keep hearing different methods...
you have syncros, it's irrelevant.

Or do you mean speedshifting?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
YORCHI said:
NEWBE QUESTION:
How the hell do you double shift, I keep hearing different methods...
Double clutching = rolling in first gear, push in clutch, goto neutral let out clutch, push clutch back in, shift to second, let out clutch.
Power shifting = floored in first gear, WITHOUT lifting your right foot, press in the clutch and shift to second let clutch back out(QUICKLY!!!) - it's hard on the car, but when you get it right, it's a beautiful thing.:happyhapp My '84 did this well. I hear it's really something, with a big block.
Speed shifting = floored in first gear, shift to second WITHOUT pushing in the clutch - I guess you might modulate your throttle to do this, I don't know, even I've never tried this. Even thinking about speed shifting, is hard on the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
what about tranny killer? automatic transmissio- car is in neutral, rev it up drop it into gear. best way to fry a tranny. haha

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
"You can't touch the cobra"? That's so lame. I bet he still uses the line, "Hey baby, what's your sign?"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I power shift in the beetle all the time, she takes it well, but then again...it is a bug....they take anything well. i'd never even think about it in the stang though, you mess this up, or you make a mistake trying to speed shift and there goes your tranny.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
speedshifting

My fault!!! -I meant powershifting, something I always used to do on the 80's arcade game "hardrivin" (who remembers that one huh!). Thanx for the clarification guys. I didn't want to be responsible for screwing up everyones clutches cuz I don't know what the hell I'm talking bout!! Later...

·
Registered
179 Posts
meangreen92 said:
Speed shifting = floored in first gear, shift to second WITHOUT pushing in the clutch - I guess you might modulate your throttle to do this, I don't know, even I've never tried this. Even thinking about speed shifting, is hard on the car.
i had a 91 honda accord and when the clutch would go out i had to do this once you get used to it it's actually not hard at all except starting the car b/c you have to started it IN gear and it jumps and silly **** like that and if you have to reverse or something you have to start it up in reverse move turn car off put in first gear and start again :p it's a hell of a mess but the actual 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th gear shifting wasn't all that bad....downshifting is a bit of a ***** also but not near as bad as the starting and reversing

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Yeah, I've driven home on a broken clutch linkeage or cable a few times, I was more thinking about avoiding complete stops than flooring it. I just slow down well in advance of the light, in order to catch the green. I creep up to stop signs, with the goal of being able to roll through them. I also try to avoid first gear once rolling.
I still can't believe they sell lifetime starters!

·
Registered
6 Posts
meangreen92 said:
Double clutching = rolling in first gear, push in clutch, goto neutral let out clutch, push clutch back in, shift to second, let out clutch.
Power shifting = floored in first gear, WITHOUT lifting your right foot, press in the clutch and shift to second let clutch back out(QUICKLY!!!) - it's hard on the car, but when you get it right, it's a beautiful thing.:happyhapp My '84 did this well. I hear it's really something, with a big block.
I hear the only way you can speed shift is if the synchros in your trans are completely removed. If you're driving around normally, its gonna be difficult, but possible. A guy here at work did that to an old Nova or something he had. U-joints and rear ends were getting put in it all the time! Not something I'd suggest if the car is driven on the road.:sterb:

·
Registered
861 Posts
meangreen92 said:
That actually cleared up a lot, for me. I had many people tell me what "Double Clutching" was, but each had a different definition. I would assume that Double Clutching is actually best for the transmission?

I'd like to add one, though!

Granny Shifting: Get the car rolling and depress the clutch and move it out of gear. While still holding the clutch down, shift into the next gear.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Regular "Granny" shifting is best for the transmission. I'm pretty sure synchros remove the need to do any double clutching or power shifting or any other ways of shifting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.