Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my 2012 Kona Blue GT six weeks ago and have no info on delivery from my dealer. When I placed my order I was pretty happy with choosing Kona even though the color I like the most was Sterling Grey but that color was no longer available. Now six weeks have passed and I keep reading Kona is purple and to top it off Sterling Grey is making a return in July or August. I’m seriously thinking about changing my order to Sterling Grey and take the hit in delivery time. I’m just wondering if any Kona Blue owners regret their decisions and wished they had picked a different color based on looking purple or due to difficulty keeping clean?

Thanks,
Joel

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Looks like blue to me. I almost bought a kona blue. It does change shades of blue in different lights, but purple? Na...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kona only looks purple if it's dirty. It's really quite pretty when clean. However, I'm somewhat regretting Kona as it seems to show minor scratches much like black cars. I have about 6 coats of Zaino on my Kona GT now, and there's no hint of purple.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have Kona and love it. I too was worried. I've had a blue Explorer for 8 years and really didn't want another blue car. I too really wanted Sterling. When they dropped Sterling for 2012 I was looking at the Candy Red and Kona Blue. In the end I didn't care enough about the color to pay the extra money for red so I went with Kona. When it arrived I was very happy with the color. It does sometimes look a little purple in the right light - but I like that.

If your really into the Sterling and you don't mind waiting then cancel your order and wait for the Sterling to come back. I think the Sterling is awesome. Just know going it - it could be a long wait.

Fun choices :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Love my Kona Blue especially with the Performance Package Wheels. I also love how the color tone does change a bit depending on the light. :)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
it only has that purple look in the reflection of the sun.. i dont care what people say thought, its a sick color especially with black out theme!! at night it looks the best i think.. its the best color. besides black with grabber blue stripes.. you wont regret the kona blue!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Not that I don't love the Kona look, but I would recommend going with the one that you really want. If not, you may have regrets at some point and perhaps will take a bit away from the enjoyment. You Kona Blue Boys don't take that the wrong way please.:winks

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Not that I don't love the Kona look, but I would recommend going with the one that you really want. If not, you may have regrets at some point and perhaps will take a bit away from the enjoyment. You Kona Blue Boys don't take that the wrong way please.:winks
already did.......... i think the kona and black theme is better than silver and black theme.. those were my two chooses

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
already did.......... i think the kona and black theme is better than silver and black theme.. those were my two chooses
...and I think exactly the opposite.:wavey

As I alluded to, it wasn't meant as a slam on the color whatsoever. We all like what we like. It was only a suggestion to the OP to get what HE really wants. Nothing more. :worship

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you really want Sterling and can get it, then get that.

But Kona is an awesome color. I can't believe you haven't seen one in person. It's a very common color.

It's a very blue, blue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love the Kona Blue, the color change gets a lot of comments from passers by. I also really wanted Sterling Grey too, but Kona just did it for me, grey is just well...grey.

Your call though, I certainly wouldn't be that patient.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's a great color, but I do agree SG is really sweet too.
You have to see a KB car in the sun to truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wavered back and forth between kona blue and sterling. I had no doubts I wanted the stone interior. I was lucky to see a kona and sterling side by side(nice work by my sales girl) with stone interior, no doubt had to have the sterling.

If possible see your interior color choice on both cars side by side. That is what made my decision.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tested a kona that really showed its dirt and streaks of indeterminate origin, but clean, decent pics online do look amazing. I have a lava on order (in under the wire for that color, apparently), so I'm sure I have plenty of dirt and streaks in my future.

Now, if SG had been available when I ordered? No contest - SG all the way. I see one around town and it's a knockout.

Even so, I didn't switch out of lava when job 2 SG was announced because (1) I'm loving the lava and (2) my order has been progressing normally. Sounds like your order might be stuck in the mud, though. If you can handle the idea of getting your car in (guessing here) October, go for SG. Who knows how long you might be waiting for your Kona, anyway?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good points. The more I think of it a car that needs to be kept really clean is probably not my best option. Anyone know exactly when production of the SG is scheduled to begin.

Joel

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't know how people don't get this. It looks purple at sunset!

Let's do some art math here, kids:

Blue car + red sun = ... can you figure this out?

I have a Kona car. It looks wonderful.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Kona blue looks blue 95% of the time. Under the sun, it looks very blue (best). Under shade its dark blue. And i agreed that during sunset, it might have a purple shade to it.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Facing the sun:

Back lit by the sun:

The only time I've seen a purplish hue is when parked at night under florescent lights, at say the 7-11 (every chick in the store loved the color, lol). Agree that you should get SG if that is your first choice. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.