- I came to this car after owning lifted trucks for the past 6 years. I am definitely not the go to guy for handling statistics and cornering nuances. I had Foxes and Bilsteins valved for my previous truck, so I did know a few things about shocks. The car thing is still very new to me.
- I have Stillen adjustable f/r sway bars and a Steeda Gtrac brace prior to this install so my impressions on the road may vary GREATLY from yours.
- I am not paid for this review and I'm doing it because I like the parts.
- I am not affiliated with any of these companies or shops.
I took a plunge and got the STR.T's, Vogtland Springs, and GT500 strut mounts on my car.
The ride is great, somewhat firmer than stock but by no means lumpy like the eibach pro kit. The car feels more controlled at high speed and cornering. It absorbs impact from crappy scraggedy roads and bumps almost as well as stock; it doesnt jar you but if you are intuitive you can tell the difference from a stock suspension.
With the Vogtland 1.3/1.3's, the front sits barely above the tire, roughly one fingerlength. The rear sits three fingerlengths above the tire, though I am told it will settle a little bit. Judging from JBA's project car (the only car I've seen with good pictures of the Vogtland 1.3/1.3), my car should settle to probably 1/3 to 1/2 less gap than I have right now.
I haven't measured the rear end yet and have not installed a panhard bar. Have not measured pinion angle either. I haven't launched my car yet but have not felt a difference in performance. Brake dive & acceleration hood rise are vastly improved to just about nonexistent in normal driving.
- Good handling feel on the road
- Excellent ride: firmer, but not too firm
- Color combo looks like Barney's sister:so
- No adjustment like the more expensive dampeners. Not an issue for me but some people like that adjustability
This is a great setup for the daily driver and the guy/girl who likes to carve the occasional corner. Even if you aren't a fast driver or curve junkie, this is a great setup to have on ANY mustang because of the added control and confidence on the road with low loss of ride quality. Vogtland also offers a .8/1.2 spring set for those who don't wish to go LOW.
Hats off to Koni on doing a great job on these dampeners and two thumbs up to Vogtland on their springs. Ford, please offer the GT500 strut mounts on all mustangs
Thanks to J&M for their great service and prompt shipment of my order. Thanks to GearHeads in Arlington (DFW TX) for their hospitality and quick install.
Now that I've gotten my suspension squared away, my future plans include a new brake setup and wheels/tires.