Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my headers will not be here until Wednesday or Thursday, but I went ahead and got started. I decided not to use my friends shop with the lift. My shop is air conditioned and it is hot outside. Right now after about 4 hours, I am waiting on the new headers. So far everything has been smooth sailing. I did the following in order:
1. disconnected the battery and removed it along with the holding tray. 2. removed the cold air intake completely. 3. removed the oil dipstick and tube. 3. removed all the bolts and studs on the top of the manifolds. 4. removed the bolt from the steering shaft at the firewall. 5. removed the nuts from the top of the motor mounts. 6. unbolted the wiring from the starter and removed it. 7. removed the midpipe and O2 sensors. 8. removed the bolts from the steering shaft at the steering rack and pulled out the steering shaft. 9. using a 4x4 and a floor jack, I jacked up the motor (drivers side) until the motor mount stud cleared the mount. I placed the 4x4 on the edge of the pan where it bolts to the block in the front of the motor being sure I was clear of the balancer. I then removed the motor mount and took the rest of the header bolts and studs out. The manifold easily came out. Since I am waiting on the headers. I reinstalled the mount and repeated the same procedure for the passenger side. Really it has not been bad at all so far. You definately need some metric ratchet wrenches and swivel sockets to do this easily. You also need several different length socket extensions. Also air tools are a real big help. The key to it is taking time to remove items that are in the way. You can't get in a hurry. I'll post again later this week and let everyone know how everything goes back together. I also posted a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
I installed my Kooks 1.75" long tubes on Friday. It was a smooth process and the removal of the OEM manifolds took me and a friend abbout 2 hours. The header install took 4 hours. I eneded up removing the steering shaft to fit the drivers side header without scratching up the JetHot coating. . I am just waiting to install the mid-pipe as Jet Hot is coating the 3" high flow catalytic converter pipe after Tillman added another O2 bung for me. We installed Prothane mounts also when we did the headers.
It was fun fun day when we did mine and we took the car for a spin with open headers bur it sounded like a freakin' funny car.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed my Kooks 1.75" long tubes on Friday. It was a smooth process and the removal of the OEM manifolds took me and a friend abbout 2 hours. The header install took 4 hours. I eneded up removing the steering shaft to fit the drivers side header without scratching up the JetHot coating. . I am just waiting to install the mid-pipe as Jet Hot is coating the 3" high flow catalytic converter pipe after Tillman added another O2 bung for me. We installed Prothane mounts also when we did the headers.
It was fun fun day when we did mine and we took the car for a spin with open headers bur it sounded like a freakin' funny car.
I might have to try that!

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I know my headers will not be here until Wednesday or Thursday, but I went ahead and got started. I decided not to use my friends shop with the lift. My shop is air conditioned and it is hot outside. Right now after about 4 hours, I am waiting on the new headers. So far everything has been smooth sailing. I did the following in order:
1. disconnected the battery and removed it along with the holding tray. 2. removed the cold air intake completely. 3. removed the oil dipstick and tube. 3. removed all the bolts and studs on the top of the manifolds. 4. removed the bolt from the steering shaft at the firewall. 5. removed the nuts from the top of the motor mounts. 6. unbolted the wiring from the starter and removed it. 7. removed the midpipe and O2 sensors. 8. removed the bolts from the steering shaft at the steering rack and pulled out the steering shaft. 9. using a 4x4 and a floor jack, I jacked up the motor (drivers side) until the motor mount stud cleared the mount. I placed the 4x4 on the edge of the pan where it bolts to the block in the front of the motor being sure I was clear of the balancer. I then removed the motor mount and took the rest of the header bolts and studs out. The manifold easily came out. Since I am waiting on the headers. I reinstalled the mount and repeated the same procedure for the passenger side. Really it has not been bad at all so far. You definately need some metric ratchet wrenches and swivel sockets to do this easily. You also need several different length socket extensions. Also air tools are a real big help. The key to it is taking time to remove items that are in the way. You can't get in a hurry. I'll post again later this week and let everyone know how everything goes back together. I also posted a couple of pics.
Nothing like getting a jump on things. It looks good

. I am just waiting to install the mid-pipe as Jet Hot is coating the 3" high flow catalytic converter pipe after Tillman added another O2 bung for me. We installed Prothane mounts also when we did the headers.
Your's is the one that got the Jet-Hot coated system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
is a there a $5 bill in the jar behind the table in the 3rd picture?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is a there a $5 bill in the jar behind the table in the 3rd picture?
LOL that is a voluntary collection jar to help pay for food and beer from a recent cookout. Yes there is still acouple of bucks in it to help with the next one.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
6 hours is great. Was that with a lift?

·
Registered
520 Posts
No, we used a pair of RaceRamps and did it in my driveway. My azz was sore the next day but I get sore from everything at my age.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you thinkI should have went with the 1.75" over the 1.58"?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i did my shorty headers install in about 8 hours but thats with no air or power tools and no lift. wasnt worth it to me but i dont have FI yet. probly shoulda went with long tubes, but its hard to beat a free pair of shorties. you did good.

S

·
0 Posts

Wow! It pays to be methodical! Give us a few more pics once the LT's come in so we can continue to see your handiwork.

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.