Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had ordered from JDM the Kooks package awhile back. Today my speed shop finished instl/ dyno.

The parts are top drawer in engineering design, quality and instl ease/ instruction. It comes with 2 each LT headers, an X-pipe, 2 each cats with bungs, 1 each O2 extension cable, 2 each new gaskets, bolts, clamps.

The ironic thing is after being told I didn't need to mess with motor mounts, the Kooks instructions actually tell you to. Also, September MM&FF didn't mention mounts so I assume maybe one can do the job without unbolting motor. Regardless, my shop followed instructions and did.

I got the OK to come and pick up late today so I didn't get pix yet. When I arrived they still had my Pony on dyno for me to do a few pulls.
When I did the additional pulls I got better results than they did, I am sure my Pony knew Daddy was home. The Predator worked like magick and gave them little issue with giving me more fuel.

First impression at startup was a much faster rev-ing motor with more air movement thru the exhaust sytem. You can literally hear the air rushing thru the X-pipe. It is a snappy focused "whoosh" in lieu of the old H-pipe "banging colums of air".
Mind you, I have no problem with the stock H-pipe sound, it is actually louder and sound more like columns of air "hammering" on sharp corners. I liked that sound but, love the new "exotic" sound of large open pipes with lots of air "soaring" thru smoothly bent turns.

All the inner welds at the flanges are feathered and smoothed for non turbulence imo. The collector has a very long transition cone, it looks very Pro.

My best pull (btw each pull kept getting stronger till I tried the "hood shut" method and really starved it of air and got lower numbers in a stagnent dyno shop) yielded;

313.3 rwhp/ 318.7 rwtq.

I roughly gained 13 rwhp/ 7 rwtq from the mod which makes me very happy.

I will explain. In my N/A setup the existing torque was more than enuff for me however, even with the 4.10's after "max TQ" the rate of tach needle climb from 5000 rpm to 6000 rpm was very noticibly kicked down.
Now, there is no step off of tachometer needle clocking rate. It is continuous and very stable up to redline. The additional high rpm (5000+) is where I needed the gains and I got it.
The torque is shifted up by 4 or 5 rwtq through out the entire band, not just up top.

Driving impressions, you really want to put foot into it. The exhaust note at low rpm's is about the same, slightly ever so mellower. Mid rang rpm is an head turning "whoosh" and by WOT it sounds more like an exotic Italian-esque note, just a beastly howl.
Steep downhills at accelerator letoff don't "exhaust brake" you as much now, the air simply flows too efficiently so I will need to gear brake more but, gimme the 5000-6000 (where the rwhp graph really seperates from old) snap over that any day.

Under the car from what I could see with a push up on shop floor, looks like a real Hi-Po system now especially flowing into the Borla's.

I recommend this mod to anybody in N/A or S/C trim for step up to a more serious performance set up.

I now await my Charge Motion Plate Delete kit (next spring) and S/C (near future). Obviously the Saleen is in the drivers seat but, I am still looking at them all, especially the KB. The KB unit in my speed shop for the '04 Cobra looked like a sick piece of metal.

Peace.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great write up!

·
Registered
897 Posts
The reason the engine mounts are recommended is that on hard launches the engine will torque to one side and the headers will knock (on the frame I assume).

The same is recommended with my JBA Long Tube Headers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually kept stock mounts, just had to drop engine to instl the Long Tubes.

This car with 4.10's and 313 rwhp now really screams in the street. I can't imagine how I am going to stay on the pavement with another 100+ rwhp from a S/C. I am sliding all over as it is.
Any S/C guys have any "close calls" yet? Heh...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts