Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I've been looking into buying some shorty headers for my 2012 Mustang GT. I'm debating between Kooks or BBK. I've noticed that the BBK shorty headers are cheaper but I haven't any videos on YouTube with anyone with a Mustang GT with those headers. I already know what the kooks shorty headers sound like with a Borla exhaust. I was hoping if anyone with that set up or just the BBK headers can maybe share a video just to check out how it sounds like. It also be cool if you guys can list how much power you can gain from the two. Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
40,069 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.50.gif

·
Registered
612 Posts
OP, what is your rational for deciding on shorties vs. longtubes? Long tubes offer a significant performance boost over shorties.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
since you're going through the headache of this install, just do long tubes man.......

Sent from my M8 using AutoGuide.com app

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could do that, but having a set up with longtubes and other changes to the exhaust is pretty much an impossible set up in California to pass the smog test.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would find a good combination of a long tube with a high flow catted x or h pipe. I have had shortie headers before and the performance gain just wasn't worth the headache. Before using shorties, I'd just stick with the stock manifold and save some cash for something else.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would find a good combination of a long tube with a high flow catted x or h pipe.
Did you even see his response? He's in California where they have much more strict emissions.
I could do that, but having a set up with longtubes and other changes to the exhaust is pretty much an impossible set up in California to pass the smog test.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi everybody, I've been looking into buying some shorty headers for my 2012 Mustang GT. I'm debating between Kooks or BBK. I've noticed that the BBK shorty headers are cheaper but I haven't any videos on YouTube with anyone with a Mustang GT with those headers. I already know what the kooks shorty headers sound like with a Borla exhaust. I was hoping if anyone with that set up or just the BBK headers can maybe share a video just to check out how it sounds like. It also be cool if you guys can list how much power you can gain from the two. Thanks guys!

FYI...

JBA is the ONLY company with CARB/California legal shorty headers for the 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0L cars. We found this out on my fathers GT when he was modding early this year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you even see his response? He's in California where they have much more strict emissions.
Why yes I did. That's why my last sentence I said before I waste my money on shorty's, I'd stick to the stock manifold and spend money elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
OP. I don't know about sound improvements with regards to swapping out the factory headers with shorty's . But from a performance standpoint, the factory headers are pretty good. If you are looking for decent power gains, go to long tubes. And if your car is relatively stock even long tube headers wont get you a lot of extra power.
IMO. the factory system is good.Should you be considering extensive modifications, then by all means get long tubes. But I think personally that shorty headers are a waste of money. Sure, the companies selling them will brag them up, and insinuate substantial power gains. But again, IMO if you want to go to the trouble of swapping out manifolds, go all the way, to long tubes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts