Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had plenty of cars in the past eight years that didn't have spares, even a space saver. But you know what they did have? Run flat tires (which have their own set of gripes).

In my neighborhood, ran over something, looked in the rear view and it looked like it was an aluminum can. Pulled into my garage to the tell-tale hiss of escaping air; le sigh.

Do I just pull the tire and head out to discount tire or do I use the mobility kit? What the hell, I'll give the mobility kit a try for giggles (now I wonder how much the refill is?). No luck, big chunk of metal in the tire. Going to have to pull the tire myself.

Surprise surprise, nobody has this tire in stock and it has to be special ordered from Goodyear; so now the car is sitting up on a jack while the wheel is at discount tire waiting for the tire to arrive. I'm going to be happy as a clam when I find they've scratched up my brembo wheel dismounting/mounting the tire.

If I'd been on a trip somewhere out of town, this would've been a lot more interesting. Or even if I'd been far from home and had to wait for a tow.

Good job Ford. Another absolutely brilliant cost-cutting engineering move.

TIL even if I get my own wheel to put in the spare wheel well, it won't actually fit without sticking up into the trunk. F-ing perfect! Did they design it for a 7" wide wheel? What model Mustang has less than an 8" wide wheel on it? I'm assuming only the base v6 has a wheel small enough to fit?

I could definitely pick a better tire than the Eagle F1 Supercar at the $300 price point.

So then another question occurs; why bother with a spare tire well if they're not going to include a spare tire in most of the models? Why not kill it all-together and increase the size of the pitifully small gas tank?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like my luck right there. I had a flat on my ranger truck (didnt have a spare, had to ride it on home) a few months ago, took the wheel and got a new tire put on the rim, (i had very nice chrome bullit wheels). I got home with it and started looking at the wheel, they scratched it up so bad, it was just horrible. People these days dont care about anybody elses stuff. And fords better designs are great too... :nono:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Bummer, I picked up a nail at about 600 miles, and another recently (12,000 miles), but was able to drive the car to have it plugged both times.

I did pick up a donut up off ebay to get me off the highway & to the tire shop in the event of a flat. I figure it won't be used 99.9% of the time anyway, so why carry the extra weight of a full size spare if you mostly drive in an urban environment?

Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and strangely the TPMS warning never triggered.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine came with a donut...go figure.

I have 18s -- Pirelli's that are fairly easy to find. I was expecting to have nothing but a refill kit...but when I took delivery, there it was -- a real donut.

I had planned to get a donut, as I'm not a big fan of the inflation/repair kit stuff.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Another thing to consider, from what I understand the OEM canister foam ruins the tires TPMS, and tire shops don't like to deal with it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I hate to be the bad guy here, but you knew this when you ordered right? At the very minimum, when you picked it up?

I understand the frustration, believe me, but bitching about something you knew about is a waste of time IMO. Get yourself a doughnut (the spare tire kind and the eating kind) and take a deep breath.:winks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't get a donut, brembo package ... donuts don't clear the caliper.

No, I actually had no idea there wasn't a full size or donut spare back there when I ordered or when I picked up. Pulled an a**-u-me.

Wasn't till I did the head slap wtf when I pulled up the trunk mat to find an empty hole filled with a mobility kit and then came here to search that I found out brembo equipped cars don't get any kind of spare.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually there is a thread here that goes through a means of getting a spare with the Brembos. I followed this and it works great, but I fully agree it is ridiculous to do this in the first place.

I know this spare works because I have had two flats within the past two months! The first was an outright blowout from road debris, took it to a local Ford dealer (not the one where I purchased the car) and they fixed it after waiting two days for the tire. The second was the other day where a nail went through on the sidewall/tread boundary. Went to the dealer where I purchased the car and after two attempts they got the correct Pirelli Pzero tire. Today they just installed it and guess what? They scratched the rim! I immediately pointed it out and they are going to have it repaired. Does anybody know if these repairs hold up? I have heard the finish is never as good as the original.

Here is the thread on the spare:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/278461-2011-mustang-gt-brembo-package-full-spare.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've been looking at a bunch of cars as my next purchase. one is a miata. you cant get a full sized miata tire in the car, anywhere. wont fit in the trunk.

not sure if it was the miata or some other car i was talking to the salesman about. but it was one without a spare. guy says, 'well, we offer roadside assistance'. which means you call them they come and 'fix' the issue. thing is, lots of high end performance cars have tires that few if anyone carries. i live in atlanta, sometimes travel to savannah, sometimes at night. between macon and savannah is a wilderness. you end up with a flat between those two towns over the weekend, at night, you are screwed. wherever you were going, you wont get there for at least 24 hours.

to me this is absurd. ask a salesman if he'd like his wife or teenage daughter to be stuck in the middle of nowhere at night waiting on 'roadside assistance', who when they arrive, might not be able to fix the tire and there fore i guess, have you towed to some tiny town where there will be no tire till they ship it in and she's stuck there until you can go pick her up or whatever.

such considerations prevent me from buying said car. when i buy a car and it comes with a donnut, i buy a full sized rim and tire which i always carry if im going out over night or longer.

and then there are cars like corvettes. want decent performance? need non run flats. want a spare? fine it will fit in the trunk but what size do you get? since front and back are different. if you get different sized tires on a limited slip axle it will burn the axle up.

the no spare, and sometimes even no jack is crazy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Spare tires are becoming dinosaurs because of cost and weight. The 2011 Corvette has no spare and no place for one, but the Corvette does have run-flat tires.

Every time I pickup a screw or a nail, I curse those contractors with pickup trucks. Home Depot and Lowes parking lots are magnets for screws and nails just looking for juicy P-Zero to sink into.

·
Banned
8,740 Posts
Don't blame Ford.

They are responding to our government telling them how to run their business. They have to increase fuel economy and you have a choice, less power or a spare tire, take your pick.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't blame Ford.

They are responding to our government telling them how to run their business. They have to increase fuel economy and you have a choice, less power or a spare tire, take your pick.
By that reasoning, you could bring up the fleet fuel economy ratings by requiring owners to join a gym and having the car sound a shrill warning if it pulls into a fast food chain.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
By that reasoning, you could bring up the fleet fuel economy ratings by requiring owners to join a gym and having the car sound a shrill warning if it pulls into a fast food chain.
Hey, don't give them any ideas.

Truth is, I'd rather have my wife or daughter wait in a safe car by the side of the road rather then the try to change a tire. Not that they can't; but if you drive anywhere that I do the last thing you want is a woman trying to wrestle off 100 ftlb lugnuts, hoping that the jack doesn't give way on a soft shoulder. Bad enough being a guy doing it while traffic whizzes by at 60MPH.

One time on my way home from work at 4AM I was flagged down by a hysterical woman in an old POS, she had just fled from some domestic trauma with her drunk boyfriend trying to get her and her kids to her parents before her boyfriend came to and noticed her gone. And here she is 15 minutes away with a flat tire. I changed the tire for her; to her I was her hero but in reality I could have just as easily been some kind of psycho. If she had a cell phone and the autoclub she could have just called for help and left the car.

That's why I gladly pay CAA (AAA in the US) and nag the wife to make sure her phone's always charged.

As far as a spare goes, I'm looking at getting a regular donut that will fit over the rears; if I get a flat on the front I'll just swap a rear to the front and put the donut on the back...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.