Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this site. I just picked up a 1989 roller coupe that I'm going to be doing a 351 swap into. I have my motor done it's a .030 over windsor with trick flow twisted wedge heads and I'm planning on runnig a 150 shot of nitrous. I'm also installing a 9 inch rearend because I want to street and race it at the track. My question is the rear suspension do you guys recommend a ladder bar setup or should I stay with the factory style control arms. I'm leaning towards the ladder bar setup only because I will be able to run a wider tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

R

·
0 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this site. I just picked up a 1989 roller coupe that I'm going to be doing a 351 swap into. I have my motor done it's a .030 over windsor with trick flow twisted wedge heads and I'm planning on runnig a 150 shot of nitrous. I'm also installing a 9 inch rearend because I want to street and race it at the track. My question is the rear suspension do you guys recommend a ladder bar setup or should I stay with the factory style control arms. I'm leaning towards the ladder bar setup only because I will be able to run a wider tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Did you say street race......:headscratch:

·
Registered
109 Posts
think what he ment was he wants to drive it on the street and race it at the track. Does it have an 8.8 rearend right now. Not sure when they stopped using the 7.5 or whatever size the weak rearend was. I think most people that have their cars still streetable are using 8.8's its a good rearend.

Me no english good.

Aaron

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your going to street race, then your going to want the Mustang to be as light as possible. In that case you should just leave the rear end out of the car.

R

·
0 Posts
If your going to street race, then your going to want the Mustang to be as light as possible. In that case you should just leave the rear end out of the car.

i always leave the oil pan bolts loose to get get more ventilation to the crankshaft......

Guaranteed extra 42 horses on the dyno.....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
211 Posts
i always leave the oil pan bolts loose to get get more ventilation to the crankshaft......

Guaranteed extra 42 horses on the dyno.....:bigthumbsup
Don't forget about removing the belt and draining the radiator. You will pick up about 15 horsepower, but it will seem like 30 due to the decrease in weight. I am almost afraid to tell this next trick, but, that's what seperates this Forum from all of the others. If you drill 1/2" holes every 6 inches in your H-pipe (this will only work on the H-pipe, so don't go crazy with the drill here), you will be tricking the EEC into thinking the car is running so lean, that you will pick up 50 horsepower because of all of the extra fuel being dumped into the cylinder. If you follow this advice, you will have picked up 107 horsepower, not to mention dropping a lot of excess weight. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Guess I'll answer...

If you're going to go through the work of putting in a 9 inch, you could go ahead and go with a ladder bar setup. That'd be better than the stock style arms anyway, as well as being stronger. You'll have more traction and less wheel hop too.

Most 9 inch rears won't bolt right in, and require modifications to the mounting points so it'd be alright to go with the ladder bar. It's overkill on a street car but you can't have too much strength.

·
Registered
298 Posts
original question: 351W w/ twisted wedge heads and nitrous, should he go with a ladder bar setup, or stock style rear suspension.

also, an 8.8 rear with 28 spline axles is good for no more than about slicks, a sticky track, and 400ft lbs of torque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont plan on street racing. I want to drive it on the street and take it to the track and race on the weekends. And thanks for all the smarta$$ comments. Thats alot of help.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I dont plan on street racing. I want to drive it on the street and take it to the track and race on the weekends. And thanks for all the smarta$$ comments. Thats alot of help.
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Now for starters you wasnt very clear in your original post. The " I want to street and race it at the track " can be interpreted a few ways. Another with out being clear of your initial intentions of wether or not your street racing or not since your wording was unclear, how would you expect us to condone that and give you the answers you want? All this could have been avoided had you added a little clarity to you post.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I want to street and race it at the track

Your words not mine. As '89 stated, clarity on your behalf would have gotten you the responses you were looking for. Post on the Forum with anything that sounds like street racing, and that's all you can expect to get from me, whether or not you like it.

R

·
0 Posts

Glad to see you are taking the mature approach and racing at the track.....

Stock style suspension will be easier and cheaper....

As you can see street racers will get no respect or help from me and many others so clarity of your intentions is a must.....

We can't read your mind .....

sort like the wife when she says "Well that is what i meant

"Doesn't work with her or here either....:so

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.