Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an MGW shifter in the V6 and reinstalled the stock handle. Yes, I know it's not a race car but I was tired of rowing to get to the next gear. Honestly, you would think Ford could come up with a better idea for shifters.

Back to the subject line; I noted that a local Mustang fanatic had a large shifter ball installed in his GT. It was much larger than the 2.25" standard ball and it was custom colored and etched to his car. It fit my hand perfectly. Problem was that he could not remember where he bought it. I've searched all kinds of websites but no one has anything listed larger than the standard 2.25" knob.

Anyone have any idea's of who will do larger size knobs ... and customize them also?? I know I can call places but would really want to start somewhere. I can't be the only wanting a larger ball ... after all, this guy had one.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, i want a larger diameter shift knob (actual Q ball size) but cant seem to find one

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm not sure if they have large knobs but I saw this website in a magazine, they do personal knobs.

American Shifter Company

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called American Shifter and guy sounded like he wasn't sure of what they really had on hand. AM, MGW, and a couple of other places do not have anything over 2.25" diameter. The guy here is still looking for his POC. When, of if, he finds it I'll post again. There has to be someone out there that knows additional details.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hmm... Take a cue ball and drill a hole into it?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I haven't thought of that! It's the obvious things we all miss that drive us crazy!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Haha I mean maybe an 8 ball would look a little more practical but the cue ball is ever so slightly larger than the rest of them (So it goes down the return chute in a pool table)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you installed the stock handle then your shifter is not an MGW because those use a specific handle. Unless you meant to say stock knob....

Anyways... check these out... not sure the diameter
www.flameball.com

EDIT: Checked out of my own curiosity. Standard pool ball size is 2.25. Coin table cue ball is 2.375. Flame ball large is 2.125. So the flame ball is within 1/8 of a standard billiard ball.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'ts an MGW. I ordered it directly from MGW. The representative said that the stock handle would fit. If you looked in my '03 it would appear that I have a stock shifter ... except shorter. I love MGW and I'm glad that many of the AFM members recommended them.

I checked with speedflame, thanks for the link. Everyone has 2.25" diameter knobs and I"m looking for a 2.5". Only company that I've found so far that is willing to indulge me in my quest for a larger handle is Speed dawg. Once I have the larger handle I'll resurrect this thread and give a report.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'ts an MGW. I ordered it directly from MGW. The representative said that the stock handle would fit. If you looked in my '03 it would appear that I have a stock shifter ... except shorter. I love MGW and I'm glad that many of the AFM members recommended them.

I checked with speedflame, thanks for the link. Everyone has 2.25" diameter knobs and I"m looking for a 2.5". Only company that I've found so far that is willing to indulge me in my quest for a larger handle is Speed dawg. Once I have the larger handle I'll resurrect this thread and give a report.
Could you be mistaking UPR for MGW? Look at this T5 shifter here and it is NOT stock handle compatible.

Mustang Short Throw Shifter

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No mistake ... it's a MGW. It has MGW etched on the leading edge of the base plate, not to mention on the box, the miscellenous parts, etc.

Thanks for the link Sharad. I've already looked over UPRs website. Nice handles ... but none my size. Speed Dawg said they'll give me a call when they return from the Mustang week festivities at Myrtle Beach. Or maybe I'll just drive down there to see what's going on. IAW Mapquest it's ONLY 5 hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts