Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just getting some more info:

what all is required to install an 87 302 (still using carb) built engine into a 68 or so mustang? it will be a pretty good hp engine and might end up stroked, aiming for around 350 hp at the crank or so. i will change to disc brakes of course also.

what all is involved in the t5 swap? i've read its pretty simple? i figured at the end of the summer i may do that when i have the engine out anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What do you currently have for an engine and transmission?
The t5 will obviosly bolt right up to that engine, you'll be using the 50oz flywheel so that makes things really simple for mating the t5 and 302. You'll need a crossmember for the T5 and there are kits out there for this swap. Mustang plus offers all the parts you'll need for the T5 install as well. Here's a link:
Mustangs Plus :: EFI & T-5 Conversions
If you're going from an I6 to a 302 you'll need to do some suspension modifications as well. IE spindles, springs, etc..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm going from 289 to 302 and auto to manual. can anyone tell me all the parts needed and what parts i can just use from a 5.0 fox for the tranny swap?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 302 is basically a drop in. I think the water pump has it's hose on the drivers side on the 302 and passenger side of the 289. If so you'll either need to replace the radiator or run a custom hose. Keep the 87 Bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel for the T5. Use a cable clutch conversion kit and purchase a clutch pedal, crossmember, mount, and yoke. This way here, with the cable clutch you don't have to mess around with locating, installing and hassling with the equalizer bar and clutch linkage rods.
Mustangs Plus :: EFI & T-5 Conversions :: T-5 Transmission Mounts
Mustang Part T5-YOKE - SLIP YOKE - TRANSMISSION - AAPD.NET
Mustangs Plus :: Drivetrain :: Clutch :: Clutch Pedals & Parts
Mustangs Plus :: Drivetrain :: Clutch :: Cable Clutch Kits & Parts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the links! could you use the crossmember annd clutch/brake pedals from an 87? then i think i read about using the 87 yoke and driveshaft, is that true?

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
No the cross member and clutch pedal will not work.You have to buy one made for your year mustang with a t5 or make one.On the clutch pedal a few places sell them for 64-68 i think if not i know a couple online mustang junkyards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.