Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice weather up here, and a few days off work, so I'm finally getting to put my new control arms on. I've got my new axle bushings installed, along with the new uppers. I started on the driver side lower at the axle, got the nut off, but couldn't get the bolt out. Tried light hammering while turning, as well as a few other things, but no dice.
After doing a search of this site, I'm guessing that the bolt is rusted to the sleeve. I didn't try any of the others.
Any ideas on how to remove it? You can't really hit it with a hammer very well, because the backing plate and drum brake assembly are in the way.
Thanks,
Tom.
P.S. Car drives way better with the new bushings and uppers, you can't steer it with the throttle anymore. It tracks the same under acceleration and deceleration, now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had the same problem. I screwed around forever until I remembered I had an air chisel :rolleyes: Had 'em out in 10 secs.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that I'm doing this on the ground with hand tools - no compressor in sight.:sosad:

·
Registered
132 Posts
This happend to me a long time ago, BC (before compressor). After soaking it with several different penetrating oils I think I snapped the bolt head with a breaker bar then knocked the bolt shaft through using a blunt chisel and five lb sledge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.