Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between standard eye, mid eye and reverse eye in regards to leaf springs. what are the benefits of each and what should i get for my 68 mustang with the 289. I want to maintain my current ride height but without the crappy looking shackles hanging below the valance.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello Warrior 2011,

Not too certain what you are trying to achive on the ride BUT I can offer
some tips and info that may be a little help.

AS far as "eyes"

Standard Eye - -should keep you car at the original height in the rear

The Mid-Eye lowers the rear of the car about 1 inch

Reverse Eye drops about 2 inches.

Keep in mind that shocks have an affect on ride "quality" as well.

You may want to consider height as well as ride quality "stiffness" of ride when you make your choice.

Adding more leafs your set-up gives a stiffer ride.

A THOUGHT - - often times a "Spring Shop" can add leafs or re-temper
you current ones.

If you have a localshop that deals with springs it may be worth a check to
see what they say and would charge.
Then compare the cost of parts and doing it yourself.

I hope this at least gives you some idea.

Print Dad

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Exactly, what IS your current ride height? what size tires and how much space between your tire tread and your fender lip?
Definately dump the shackles. Ever car comes out a little different even with the same springs. On my '67 standard eye would have put the fender lip ~1-2" above my 15" tire at the treads. With mideye's I am ~<1/2" above the tread, reverse eyes would have put the tires into the the wheel well ~1"?

Here's some pics so you can see physically the difference in the eyes so it makes more sense, they just change the location of the mounting points to point up/level/down:
Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories=

Now you have to decide on 4 leaf, 4 1/2 etc.
Jon

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Definately dump the shackles.
how exactly do you mean this?
you can not by any means just take the shackles off and bolt the spring straight to the body, the spring gets longer when it flexes and the shackles allow the travel the springs need.
if you left the shackle out you might as well just leave out the springs and bolt the axle straight to the car.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
without the crappy looking shackles hanging below the valance.
Sorry, I could have stated 'dump the extended shackles'. I thought it was obvious by his description that some PO has added extended shackles to lift the tires off the fenders if he can see the shackles hanging below the rear valence. I didn't mean to try and mount w/o stock length shackles.
Jon

·
Registered
913 Posts
you can not by any means just take the shackles off and bolt the spring straight to the body…
He meant, as he said, dump the "the crappy looking shackles hanging below the valance". These extra-long shackles raise the car, screw up the pinion angle, screw up the swing arc of the rear suspension, and allow the rear end of the car to waggle from side-to-side like a cheap prostitute.

So, if you want your car to drive like crap, use extended shackles.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
you can not by any means just take the shackles off and bolt the spring straight to the body, the spring gets longer when it flexes and the shackles allow the travel the springs need.
if you left the shackle out you might as well just leave out the springs and bolt the axle straight to the car.
Yes, he is well aware of this. Usually when someone makes a statement about shackles to this extent the implied meaning is 'longer shackles than stock.' It's the same thing as when someone states they have 'shackles' on their car. We obviously all know the car has to have shackles, but we also know that what this douche means is he has extended shackles on his Monte Carlo making him the biggest badass in town.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we can all agree that extended non stock shackles look like crap. I hate them and want them gone ha:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yup. A stock replacement spring will keep the fender gap consistent, with about 1 inch all the way around, when using a stock-style shackle. The mid-eye should make the fender gap near zero, and the reverse eye will make it tuck in, I believe.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you want the rear end a little higher than the front I would use a standard eye and if you are using stock front coil springs I would go with a little stiffer than stock 4 leaf.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok im going to use standard eye and im using stock front coils so i will go a little stiffer that the stock 4 leaf. Right now my ride height is around 2 or 2.5 inches on the drivers side and around 2.5 or 2.75 on the passenger side with the shackles.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok got it done, ride height is good and the crappy looking shackles are gone!:bigthumbsup Thanks for the guidance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts