Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to order new leaf springs for my 65 fastback. I am ordering a kit with 1" lift, but am not sure if I should order the 4 or 5 leaf ones? I guess I am not sure exactly what the difference is? It would seem like the 5 leaf would be stiffer, but I am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
Typically the 5-leaf will be MUCH stiffer, like a Chevy pickup truck. What kind of cargo do you plan to haul?

Are you sure you want 1" lift? that's pretty high. This is stock height, you sure you want to go an inch higher than this?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I do not plan on hauling anything so I guess 4 leaf it is. Now you have me rethinking the 1" lift. My springs are original and sagging very badly I think. I will measure the wheel well height this afternoon and see where it is. Any idea how high it is from ground to the top center of the fender on yours?

·
Registered
754 Posts
my rear fender lip is 25.5" from floor.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hi Bob,
I recently installed 5 leaf springs in my coupe.
The ride is the same as a 4 leaf standard set up but great when extra people in the back seat, the car does not sag.

I went for the 'mid eye' set up, 1" lower which I ended up with the car sitting like it came from factory.
I was convinced to go this way as I was planning on going for the standard spring which would have made it look like a drag car.
I believe that what you plan with a 1" higher will make it sit far too high in the rear.

·
Registered
754 Posts
what spring rate would be my question? I am thinking of a 175 lb rate rear spring.
My fear is it will ride rougher than I would want. I really do not want spring wrap and wheel hopping when breaking the tires from the pavement.
I am leaning towards the 4 1/2 leaf springs.
Anyone recommend springs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I measued the ride height this morning:

Front 27" to fender lip
Back 25.75" to fender lip

The car has P215-60R15 tires that are aabout 25" diameter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have a 66 v-8 Fastback with 4 1/2 rear leaf spring and a little better than stock front end suspension with stock height coil springs all from OpenTracker racing. The set up is still new and all the interior is not in yet. The car also needs to be run a bit so it will settle. Right now the front sits 26" from floor to fender lip and the rear is 27 1/2" from floor to fender lip. I have 205/60/15" BF Goodrich tires.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Franko66,
The springs I used are Scott Drake HI-Po 5 leaf.
Below is the description about these springs.

Upgrade the handling performance of your vehicle with High-Performance 5-Leaf Rear Springs, from Scott Drake! Available with a standard-eye to restore your car to its original stock ride height, or a mid-eye which lowers your car approximately 1” from the stock height. Both options offer superior road handling over stock, 4-Leaf designs. These springs also help prevent wheel hop and spring wrap up on hard acceleration. Our springs are the only ones on the market painted steel-gray to closer resemble OEM appearance, and to provide a nice contrast compared to traditional black replacements. 195 lb load rate.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tony,
how does it ride on an average road with 195 lb rate springs?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Fine, the old original 4 leafs weren't the best but I find that there's no real difference.
Maybe a little firmer but in a good way.
When you think of it, a 20lb difference is not much.

Highly recommend them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts