Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, in the next few days I am going to be replaicing my rear leaf springs. Since this will be the largest project to date on my mustang, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to and tricks and pit falls that I need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
:D Just did this about a month ago. The front eye bolts are going to be a bear, usually. One of mine came right out, but the other took 7 sawzall blades to get out. Just put stands under the frame, raise the jack up to the pumpkin to where it's just touching, and start unbolting the u-bolts. I would give them ALL a good bath in some penatrating oil/spray about 24 hours before, and they should break loose fairly easy. Once the u-bolts are off, you can raise the whole rear end up out of the way, then take the shakles loose, and let the leafs touch the ground. Then comes the fun, but maybe both of yours will come out easy.:thumbsup LUCK!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The front eye is the big problem.
If your lucky you can get the bolts out I couldnt cut or not (They freeze in the bushing and beat all day they wont move, the bushing absorbs the impact).
The best and fastest way is to torch them off.
Use a cutting torch (or plasma if your that lucky to have one) to cut thru the eye just aft of where the spring recurls under. Then pry the spring curl up to make a gap large enough for the bolt to pass through while the spring is hot. Roll the curl over and it will drop off the bolt. Then cut the bolt in half and knock the ends out.
Be aware that when cutting the rubber bushing burns and smokes A LOT.
Dig it out as much as possible while cutting. It almost falls out anyway.
I always wondered why the springs I saw in the junk yard were cut.
I found out why.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any luck with the project

Thanks for the advice all, but I have not had the time to get to this project yet. I had a spetacular view of a wonderfull thunderstorm on the only day I could work on my Mustang. Since I do not have an enclosed area for my Stang currently.. this project will happen on my next day off..

In a way, I am glad for the rain as it allowed me to go over my old back issues of Mustang Monthly where I found (WAYYYYYY in the back) an article on how to change the springs (and they used the SAME kit I am what luck).

I will keep everyone informed as to the results. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.