Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the instrument bulbs in my 64 Mustang with LED bulbs. The instructions say to cut 1/2 the spring off that push the old bulbs up. I hate to do that and am wondering if it is really necessary? Would appreciate any input from anyone who has put led bulbs in. The instructions say it only applies to metal sockets used on early Mustangs. I am not going to put the ones in for the Oil , Generator or turn signal lights as these are bright enough as they are.

Thanks
Roy

·
Registered
765 Posts
I followed the instructions and cut off a little of the spring but not 1/2 - maybe 1/3. Then one of the LED actually burned out and all I had was the regular 1894 for replacement on a blilnker light. It fit in the socket with the reduced spring just fine. Don't think it will hurt but must admit I'm not sure why it needed to be done in the first place

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I put LEDs in before I replaced my underdash harness. I didn't cut off the springs and it was fine. There is one thing though. The sockets are slightly large, so you need to put something very small in to hold the lightbulb in place. I used a very small roll of electrical tape.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The set I got from HiPo came with some little rubber rings to put around the shaft of the bulb for a tighter fit.

·
Registered
403 Posts
you can pickup some o-rings from any hardware shop and use them. They provide good seals and should last. Also they are cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. The bulbs I got from NPD have the rubber washers so I think I will try putting them in without cutting the springs.

Roy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.