Ford Mustang Forum banner

LED sequential tail light conversion fail, resistors burning up

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  G.O. Stang 
#1 ·
sorry if this is in the posted in the wrong area, not real familiar with using forums.
SO, I get my fiance some super cool LED sequential tail lights for his 05 pony. I install them, thy look great and he loves them. They work flawlessly for a few months then start working intermittently. Then they go completely out...but not before the local towns finest see it and pull him over...no ticket thank god. He comes home and I do some looking, sure enough they are nonresponsive no matter what I do so I wait til day light to break back into it. Upon further examination, I find that the resistors have burned. I actually had to pry them off of the tail light housing. I call AM and work out a deal to get new housings and new lights. They were cool about it and super helpful, all I had to do was send in lots of pictures and one of my work orders to get the replacements. So I wait for everthing to arrive while my fiance sulks around in my GT.
A week later, everything arrives all bright and shiney minus the burn marks. Everything is installed and working as they should, this time I use hand made brackets and some insulated foam to protect the resistors from any injury they may receive. Tada!!! Fancy tail lights = happy fiance. BUT, it was short lived. While sitting through one of those excruciatingly long stop lights, I smell something and wouldn't ya know it, the resistors melted yet again!!!:cursing: This time it happened much faster. I'm at a loss and currently out $250 for these one time super cool lights. I have to wait until tomorrow to get ahold of AM but I was wondering is anyone has any ideas on Wth is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm. That's interesting. I dont own either kit from AM, but all of the kits out there are virtually the same. So it wouldn't make sense that it was the kit's fault. Has to be something with the wiring of the car. Too much voltage can cause that. Maybe get a volt meter out and check the voltage on the wires that run to all six of the taillight bulbs. Should be around 12v. Or, another route, but a different kit from somewhere else and see how it goes. My kit(which is splice in) came from M&M Electronics. Website: Mustang Taillight Sequencers |Tail Light Sequencers | Sequential they also have a plug in kit as far as I know. Has been working flawlessly since last Christmas.

#4 ·
so does he have the 02gt or the 06 v6? some one might have a clue, but not me. i got the plug n play set last year from cj pony, they have worked great with no issues. with the splice ins just guessing a loose connection could cause some issues, on the 06, pretty sure the hot wires stay hot and the ground makes the connection.

#5 ·
She said it was an 05.

And yeah if the wires check out okay, maybe invest in a different kit. I like mine because it's a cheap alternative and I like the sequence speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.