Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - As everyone knows the instrument lighting on our old Mustangs is poor at best. I was driving my 66 coupe at night and even with the instrument lights at full brightness the lighting was pretty dim. I was looking for an LED replacement and found a 4 bulb kit from Scott Drake. It is part number SD-1895 and costs $16.95. They also have a 7 bulb kit but I don't think you need LEDs for the turn signal indicators and high beam indicator. I installed the 4 LED set yesterday and I am very impressed. Now the gauges are easy to read. I purchased the clear bulb set and kept the 4 blue plastic lens in the instrument panel. They also offer a blue set of 4 LED bulbs (SD-1895-BL) but I think you would need to remove the 4 blue plastic lens if you used these bulbs. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Scott Drake led's. I got a set of blue led's with red high beam indicator and 2 clear turn signal bulbs (which means no more useless filters). They were by a company called Hi-Po Parts. Than I painted the back of that black filler plate with duplicolor chrome paint. What a huge difference.

Although I'm going to loose those and get a set of LED's from Mustang Project. They managed to replicate the original blue/green color for the gauge lights, so it will match the original lights in my rally pac.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66Sprint200 - I don't know why you don't like the Scott Drake LEDs. They fit and work great, look great, and have a warranty for as long as you own your Mustang. Such any easy upgrade for $16.95.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I just didn't like the illumination from them. Granted, the Hi-Po Parts ones aren't much better, the only way they got brighter was when I painted the black plate so the light would reflect better.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If the LED kit is not bright enough you can get the led bulbs with 5 LED's in each one from Hi Po
If that is not enough light still you can get the LED "rope" lights and put it inside your cluster on the bottom and splice into one of the bulb wires.
Here is where I got the ones I used under my seats and dash to illuminate the interior:
cheap led strips yellow flexible led rope lights 12v | eBay
They come in all colors and are only $1 each

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I got mine from radio shack but its kinda weird to read the gauges at night now.Its not just these mustangs my 85 chevy truck gauge lights was crap too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sprint200. I installed a blue LED set from Mustang Project and whitegauge faces on the 5 gauge cluster. I'm very happy, (and I didn't purchase the "tape-on" faces that Scott Drake sells). The rally pac clock face is dim, so I will have to find an additional reflective paint or material as you suggested. If anybody is interested I'll give you the name of the place I bought the whiteguage faces at on-line.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gotta say I have not been too impressed with my 5-led lights from Hi-Po. They are only marginally better than the stock lights. Interested to hear the tip from Sprint. Exactly what part of the background did you paint with chrome?

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is perfect timing on this subject for me as I am about to order some from Mustang project for my 73. I've been told that the ones on ebay are old stock and the brighter, better ones are only sold on their website.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is an old thread but I wanted to put my experience in it. I purchased the HiPo Elite series instrument panel lights for my 1966 Mustang. I also purchased LED lights for the automatic transmission shifter, turn signals and high beam.
Per their instruction sheet I re-painted the back of the cluster with a flat white paint. I also re-painted the gauge needles with neon orange needle paint.
I removed the blue shields for the instrument panel lights and used the green LED lights. Replaced the turn signal and high beam bulbs.
Results: the instrument light quality is amazing. Very easy to read the gauges and the green LEDs are very close to the original green, only bright.
The turn signal LED's were too bright for me and I removed them the next day.
The high beam indicator was no real improvement.
The light for the gear shift the same, no significant improvement.
I also replaced the courtesy lights and that is much brighter now.
So, my recommendations would be to repaint the white portion of the instrument panel, replace the instrument lights with green bulbs while removing the blue shield (if you want to keep the original green light). Re-paint the gauge needles. Replace the courtesy lights if you want more brightness there.
I wouldn't spend the money on LED's for turn signals, high beam or shifter lights.

Allen

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
the timing of your thread bump is perfect because I've been really mulling what to do in terms of LED dash light upgrade. I didn't know about this thread.

·
Registered
471 Posts
So, my recommendations would be to repaint the white portion of the instrument panel, replace the instrument lights with green bulbs while removing the blue shield (if you want to keep the original green light). Re-paint the gauge needles. Replace the courtesy lights if you want more brightness there.
I wouldn't spend the money on LED's for turn signals, high beam or shifter lights.

Allen
When I did my LED conversion I did basically the same as DrVertt, repainted the white portion of the instrument panel flat white, removed the blue filters, used green LED bulbs and repaint the gauge needles. The only other thing I did that he didn't do was add the white face gauge overlays from whitegauges.net. Very pleased with the results and a great write up by DrVertt.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I installed the hi Po parts LEDs in my 65 with the illegible instruments at least at night. It made a significant difference. I could sees the gauges. Also, the LEDs run with a lot less heat. No more melting of the blue lens covers. I then put in led taillight bulbs and they were an improvement. Then I put in the Mustang Project sequential taillight kit. They are very bright too. Next led dash bulbs will go into my Sunbeam Tiger dash which is useless at night. LEDs,are a very nice upgrade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
purchase some LED from fleabay. A set of 6. Replace my Instrumental cluster and the two rear of my center console. Looks great. Been having issues with my tail lights. I replace them with 1157 Pilot 16 LEDs. When i turn on any light signal, my instrumental cluster and License plate bulb blink. I remove them and all is normal. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did you even use a flasher module? That could be an issue. Usually when you buy bulbs the module is separate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts