Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Before I ask my thread's topic question about insurance let me tell you a story:

Just like the live action movie of Transformers, when I was in sophomore year of high school my dad had promised to buy me a car when I got my license tied to some conditions.

What were the conditions? Obtaining a GPA for the semester with at least a 3.8+ and saving at least $2000 in my bank account.

Well being 16 and being promised with a car, I worked my ass off of course!

Shortly after, dad takes me over to a Ford dealership (Landmark Ford) who's specialty was selling Saleen Mustangs and SVT Cobras. My dad did the whole trick of driving up to a beautiful blue Saleen Mustang and fooling me that he was snagging one of those. After freaking out, I look to my dad who's standing there laughing with the dealer and telling me "yeah right." (insert sinking SFX)

They then take me to the BACK LOT where originally he came there for a white fully loaded V6 AUTOMATIC. But while the old bastards were discussing business I noticed this rain-marked dirty black coupe right next to it. It was almost BARE minimum. No floor mats, regular stereo, stock alloy wheels and no rear spoiler. BUT, it was a 5 speed. I at least had the decensy to explain I'd rather have the 5 Speed than an auto. (I am so glad I did).

It was a steal of a deal for $12K with only 10 miles on the thing. It was my first car. I've had many trials and tribulations with it.

I'm now 23. She has 46K miles on it and some minor mods but nothing ridiculous. After years of people coming up and asking me "Why didn't you get a GT?" or "Is that a Cobra?" or me having to explain "It's just a V6". I'm sick of it, it's a curse.

I was actually aiming for a Subaru Sti, but I'm still attached to my Mustang! And recently I've been snake bit. It's the beginning of summer and all those Terminators are stalking and roaring down the streets. It doesn't help that I'm finding GREAT deals for Cobras on the local classifieds. I'm still debating on the Sti and a SVT.

So NOW to my topic. I know the Sti costs like a new car payment to insure, how much does a SVT Cobra run for a 23 year old with no records/tickets? I'm still a student and yeah, I keep up with my grades.

Also I believe realisticly a 99 or 01 NA SVT Cobra is in my price range even though I'd LOVE to have a 03' Terminator.

I would LOVE your guy's feedback with your all knowing Cobra snake bit minds!

·
Registered
95 Posts
In 2007 I got a 01 Cobra convertible and they messed up the car info and had it as a 07 GT. I don't know if it really was the cost for insuring a new car but when they changed the description it still cost the same. They did tell me that the cost was because smaller number of cars equals repair parts are harder to get. I have about 10 years on you and one car accident, I ruined a perfectly good 01 GT convertible. I am now paying about $600 for 6 months in sunny Florida.

If you want to get a better Idea find a VIN number off eBay or AutoTrader and get some quotes with it. They are just quotes so you do not have any commitments.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i am 21 currently serving in the military and have a 98 cobra. i have USAA which in my opinion is the best insurance you can get and i pay about 70 a month for full coverage. i hope this helps you. oh by the way i have like 2 or 3 speeding tickets on my record and 3 or 4 expunged.

·
Registered
513 Posts
insurance

depends on what type you are getting and where you live..

in 03 we got our cobra..in new jersey.good records and they quoted us 2grand...yea right...

we paided cash for the car and have only liabilty and we pay about 425 for the year...its a risk but its been 7 yrs now so we saved 14000 if not more by now...but we also live in texas now and stuff is way cheaper here...

usaa is here and yes they are the best that ive heard of...if things didnt change over the years usaa gives a return check every year,,

·
Registered
13 Posts
im 20 years old and i had 4 strikes against my insurance then i got my 2003 svt cobra...i pay right around 3000 a year which is 288 a month, thats in MA though, and insurance varies by state too.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Full Coverage for my 99 Cobra is about $85 a month!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Well the price is going to vary widely depending on many factors, the main one being if the car is financed or not and where you live,if financed it will be higher since you have to carry full insurance, if you own it free and clear you can go with less insurance and higher deductibles...generally V8s and being young = sky high premiums, that STI might be even higher!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I pay $120 full coverage on my 1998 and $200 on my 03 cobra a year!
250/500 agreed value. Collector car policy.
Get the lowest limits by law 15/30? and a higher deductable for affordable insurance at your age

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Full coverage with my 4Runner($500 deductible) and Cobra($250 deductible) is $100 a month. If i bump them both to a $1000 deductible, it would be like 40 bucks a month.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Full coverage with my 4Runner($500 deductible) and Cobra($250 deductible) is $100 a month. If i bump them both to a $1000 deductible, it would be like 40 bucks a month.
What company is this with?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Full Coverage for my 99 Cobra is about $85 a month!
I hear ya, full coverage on my 99 Cobra vert is like $70/month. I'm thinking about switching to Haggerty, they quoted me $285/yr, with an agreed value of $25k. But I'm only allowed like 3k miles/yr. $285 is cheap but even though I don't drive mine much, 3k miles per year isn't much.

·
Registered
252 Posts
about 75 a month here with a ticket and wrecks in other cares (not my fault) im 23 in texas on a gt

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
A GT's rates will be lower due to the stated HP from the Factory! And I see lots of guys using Hagerty etc.. with mileage limits, how about just regular companies? I'm right at $1000 a year for my Cobra (full Coverage)and 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 (Basic Coverage) Do you think I can beat this price somewhere else? I'm late 30's with no tickets for a couple years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
buy american i dont care if u buy a cobra or a gt or keep ur six screw foriegn cars buy the way american cars run FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFR!!!!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
??

buy american i dont care if u buy a cobra or a gt or keep ur six screw foriegn cars buy the way american cars run FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFR!!!!
HELLO what does this have to do with the thread topic??:nono:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.