Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially i was thinking Roush, but then i had a change of heart and was thinking about Ford Racing Sport. Allot of people complain about drone with the Roush and it sounding a bit too high and ricey. After thinking about it for awhile i think i would like to do catback instead of axle back because some extra power would be nice. I was on American Muscle and all they have for the 2011 v6 catback exhausts are Magnaflow Sport, Magnaflow Competition and Pypes... all of which are not to my liking. Why dont they have the Borla Catbacks for the v6 on american muscle instead of only Borla Axlebacks? Maybe somebody knows a better site with more selection? Either way, what do you guys have? Are you happy with it? The guys that have catbacks... any noticeable gains you can feel? The guys that have axlebacks... is the sound that good that you dont care about additional gains?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I wish AM would start carrying the Dynomax cat-back to utilize the forum discount.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
These are my personal observations:
(loudest to quietest)

Borla ATAK = very uniquely tuned and very high priced. EXTREMELY BOISTEROUS - near muffler delete levels. All of the lines sound very similar, just with different volumes and depth.
Magnaflow Comp = deep raw loud growl, with a tad of the magnaflow rice & apparent backfire sound.
Roush = sounds amazing on v8's, but really raspy and quite loud & has that huge rumble backfire sound when letting off the gas.
Pypes = similar to Dynomax, as it gives more of a raw sound, but a bit louder than Dynomax and has a hair of the backfire sound.
Dynomax = very raw sounding, a hair of a drone at 2400-2500 rpm but somewhat quiet compared to most, but 2-3x louder than stock.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm very happy with my Pypes m80 mufflers and custom tips. No drone either.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I can only speak from video experience, but personally I like the FRPP axle backs the best as far as sound goes. The drawback is that they are really expensive. If I ever come in to a spare $800 I might spring for them. For now I like the stock exhaust tone, and am really wary of drone at highway cruising RPMs, which seems to be a characteristic of the less expensive exhaust set ups.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah the frpps are my favorite choice right now too. if u do ever end up doing it make sure to post a vid

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would've gone ATAK, but I chose to go with Roush + BAMA tunes/SCT tuner for around the same amount of money. That much money for axlebacks is insane.

Besides, the Roush might drone a bit but I don't really hear it. I just got a new job where I commute 30 miles each way on the freeway. Music inside the car (not loud) easily covers up whatever drone there is. Also, that loud backfiring popping/burbling/crackling is what sold me on it.

B

·
0 Posts
Sure just check out the Pypes vs dynomax thread. A few of us have gone this route and very happy.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Initially i was thinking Roush, but then i had a change of heart and was thinking about Ford Racing Sport. Allot of people complain about drone with the Roush and it sounding a bit too high and ricey. After thinking about it for awhile i think i would like to do catback instead of axle back because some extra power would be nice. I was on American Muscle and all they have for the 2011 v6 catback exhausts are Magnaflow Sport, Magnaflow Competition and Pypes... all of which are not to my liking. Why dont they have the Borla Catbacks for the v6 on american muscle instead of only Borla Axlebacks? Maybe somebody knows a better site with more selection? Either way, what do you guys have? Are you happy with it? The guys that have catbacks... any noticeable gains you can feel? The guys that have axlebacks... is the sound that good that you dont care about additional gains?
I'm going through the same debate as we speak.. I met up with Happydad (member of these forums) last night to listen to his dynomax catback system. It sounded great, truly, but if you want the volume of Roush I don't think you would be happy. He let me take the car out for a spin and there is without question a noticeable power difference in his mustang compared to mine, but he has airaid, dynomax, and a tune... whereas I only have airaid.

For performance purposes, Dynomax and Pypes are probably your best bet "price wise" but if you are considering Borla I guess I should assume that price isn't your priority? I'd love to do Borla catbacks, but they are like $1,200.... that's just not in my cards right now.

I've been seriously debating Roush myself, I think the sound is amazing, but I've heard some complain about terrible drone and others say it is non existent.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to be honest with you i dont really care about the price, i just got off the phone with my dealership and they quoted me 920$ for the ford racing sport exhaust purchased and installed... it seems pretty tempting, i love the sound of the ford racing sport... i might pull the trigger on this unless i can find a better variety of catbacks to choose from. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
to be honest with you i dont really care about the price, i just got off the phone with my dealership and they quoted me 920$ for the ford racing sport exhaust purchased and installed... it seems pretty tempting, i love the sound of the ford racing sport... i might pull the trigger on this unless i can find a better variety of catbacks to choose from. any thoughts?
At first I was thinking $920 is just TOO expensive!! But if that is for catbacks AND installation... that sounds pretty solid actually! I'd like to spend less than $600 and hopefully do installation myself...

J

·
0 Posts
2011 Ford Mustang Borla Exhaust Systems, Cat Back Borla Exhaust System - Videos, Sounds, Installations & Reviews

Best deal I've seen on Borla Axle Backs, Car and Driver has a good discount code, or use the 15% off that the Autoanything site offers. That would put the Touring catback at about $760 with free shipping, Stingers about $10 more, Atak about $850. I was gonna get the Touring from this site, but I was able to get Magnaflows at dealer cost for less the $400. :yelpleased:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely will need to consider this ^^^ Like i said, its either the ford racing axle backs from the dealer for 920$ or an entirely different system such as borla cat back or some other catback... im on the line between axle backs and catbacks... the ford racing sounds amazing but doesn't give you extra power... im currently thinking about.... i can get borla catbacks for the same price and get the extra power... or get the ford racing and have a better sound and no extra power... hmmmm

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm going through the same debate as we speak.. I met up with Happydad (member of these forums) last night to listen to his dynomax catback system. It sounded great, truly, but if you want the volume of Roush I don't think you would be happy. He let me take the car out for a spin and there is without question a noticeable power difference in his mustang compared to mine, but he has airaid, dynomax, and a tune... whereas I only have airaid.

For performance purposes, Dynomax and Pypes are probably your best bet "price wise" but if you are considering Borla I guess I should assume that price isn't your priority? I'd love to do Borla catbacks, but they are like $1,200.... that's just not in my cards right now.

I've been seriously debating Roush myself, I think the sound is amazing, but I've heard some complain about terrible drone and others say it is non existent.
Thanks for the info.

B

·
0 Posts
To me it ended up being being the Roush ABs or the Pypes system. I think either one would be worthy upgrades. I think Bassanis and Borlas sound okay too, but the cost for each of them are way out of whack to me. I had considered the dynomax as well, but ultimately it is just a mild and modest change, but are arguably the least expensive unless you go the custom route.

J

·
0 Posts
Definitely will need to consider this ^^^ Like i said, its either the ford racing axle backs from the dealer for 920$ or an entirely different system such as borla cat back or some other catback... im on the line between axle backs and catbacks... the ford racing sounds amazing but doesn't give you extra power... im currently thinking about.... i can get borla catbacks for the same price and get the extra power... or get the ford racing and have a better sound and no extra power... hmmmm
I'm lucky enough to be Military(24 years now...) so there are lots of 11-12 mustangs here at work for me to check out different mods first hand. And in my opinion the Borlas sound Awesome comparted to FRPP! in both 5.0 and 3.7 form. For my taste on a daily driver, I wanted the Touring, But the Stingers are nice if you don't mind the volume, the Ataks are just stupid unless your racing it all the time. Sounds like to me you've pretty much made up your mind! Get the extra HP and the sound!! it's only 10-11 horses but you might need that for the next 350z or chevy cobalt that pulls up next to you....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I've had both the Magnaflow Competition catback and the Borla Atak catback.

Gotta throw my "Magnadrone Sucks" jab out there. I will never buy another POS from that douchebaggery company again. $700 to get frucked in the ear by a moaning cow in heat.

Borla Atak is ridiculously expensive, has the best stainless steel material used today, is unique in every way it sounds and is guaranteed to not drone. I paid $350 more than the Magnacow but my only regret is I didn't buy it first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
IMO. i would still go with frpp's. that seems really expensive though. the axlebacks themselves are $650 from american muscle and there charging you 270 for installation. im not sure how much it cost to put in axle backs but for that much i would just do it myself plus i heard it was a pretty easy installation going by reviews on AM. you can always get power elsewhere too other then through the exhaust

1 - 20 of 59 Posts