Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just about to get my 2012 V6 Premium Mustang. :bounce2: I specifically asked the dealer to not drill license plate holes on the front, and they did anyways... :banghead: Just because it's a state law and requirement. It ticked me off a little bit, but not enough to turn away... I'd be putting it in the front window if they hadn't, but anywho.

What did you guys do to cover up the holes in the front? Did you have to get a whole new bumper to fix it, or did ya find some putty and such? I tried looking on this forum, but I didn't have any success.

Pardon me if this is a repost, but I'm just looking for some answers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Fusor works great but it is alot of work. Fill, sand, prep and paint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello all, just about to get my 2012 V6 Premium Mustang. :bounce2: I specifically asked the dealer to not drill license plate holes on the front, and they did anyways... :banghead: Just because it's a state law and requirement. It ticked me off a little bit, but not enough to turn away... I'd be putting it in the front window if they hadn't, but anywho.

What did you guys do to cover up the holes in the front? Did you have to get a whole new bumper to fix it, or did ya find some putty and such? I tried looking on this forum, but I didn't have any success.

Pardon me if this is a repost, but I'm just looking for some answers.

Thanks.
Dealerships do stupid stuff all the time. Go in for an oil change, an hour later you ask whats taking so long and they got your tires off examing the shocks... all about them trying to trick you into spending money... back to the original question, I had heard about what the guy above me said before. My buddy did it when he was fixing a car, later to find out he didn't need the holes... I am pretty sure that is what he did

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey guys, maybe just take a small round-headed steel punch, or something similar, and heat the end of it, and just kind of "melt" any excess material around the screw holes, back into the holes.

That cleans it up a lot, don't have to sand and paint. In my case, I am also supposed to have a front plate, so I still need the holes. I don't run my front plate, and if I get pulled over for that, I have it in the trunk with the 2 screws and can install it right there in front of the officer. With the holes cleaned up, they don't look that bad. :gringreen

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My car came from IL so it had the stupid plate on the front as well. IN doesn't require a front plate so I took off the bracket immediately. As of right now, I still have the holes. Since my car is black it's not that noticeable, but I'd like to get them fixed eventually. I've heard of people buying plastic plugs from Menard's or Home Depot, painting them and pushing them in. I guess that's an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bumper Plugs

look into BumperPlugs.com. These even come prepainted.

I'm in IL, didn't even think about special lic mtg brackets that don't drill the bumper. There are some nice ones out there. Anyway, had dealer drill bumper (which they did a bit crocked). For the time being I can enlarge the lic brkt mtg hole to properly align.

Hope that helps...:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Yeah, they have a plastic guy coming in the dealership this week that might be able to help me too.

I also work at an aviation hangar, and there are tons of painting and sanding stuff going on. I might have one of the mechanics help me and do it the putty way.

& I will check out bumperplugs.com ! Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So I just recently noticed a little stress line going down from one of the holes in my bumper. What should I do about this? Just take it into my dealer? Thing is, they didn't drill the holes. The dealer that they traded with (in IL) did it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have stripes on mine, so it covered the holes. You could always decide to try that route too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go in for an oil change, an hour later you ask whats taking so long and they got your tires off examing the shocks... all about them trying to trick you into spending money... did
Except when your car is under warranty then everything is no problem found or working as designed!!!

I got lucky my license bracket is still in the trunk where it belongs with my front plate :)

Could you fill it with epoxy and hit it with touch up paint?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go to Home Depot and they have these little hole filler plastic rubbery things....you basically jam it in there then smooth it off. or they have these little plastic plugs and they work well for holes and you can paint them before they go in.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Go to Home Depot and they have these little hole filler plastic rubbery things....you basically jam it in there then smooth it off. or they have these little plastic plugs and they work well for holes and you can paint them before they go in.

Basically.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just recently noticed a little stress line going down from one of the holes in my bumper. What should I do about this? Just take it into my dealer? Thing is, they didn't drill the holes. The dealer that they traded with (in IL) did it. Any suggestions?

Dang, sounds like someone drilled the hole too hard or something. Yes, take it in! They're supposed to cover that stuff for like 12,000 miles I think. It doesn't hurt. :)

Except when your car is under warranty then everything is no problem found or working as designed!!!

I got lucky my license bracket is still in the trunk where it belongs with my front plate :)

Could you fill it with epoxy and hit it with touch up paint?
Yeah, I'm gonna go and try the "plug" way. They have stuff at Home Depot I might try. I'll get touch up paint, sand off the tip of the plug to help catch the paint, and wam. Done. lol

Yep, thank you! I might try it this weekend, depends how fast I can get this touch up paint and all that jazz.

I have stripes on mine, so it covered the holes. You could always decide to try that route too.
Maybe someday. :) I'm pretty anal about this stuff though. It's not a "out of sight out of mind" thing for me. :( I think about it every time I take it for a drive, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts