Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My state of residence requires tags on the front and rear bumper. I just took delivery of my new '05 GT (yesterday) and was fortunate enough to have a good salesman. Before he did it without asking, he said he would need to drill the 2 mounting holes to install the front plate. Sorry but in my opinion, this will destroy the beauty of the front of this car. But I'm sure it needs to be in place when I take it to be inspected. Any suggestions? By the way, I also told my salesman to make sure they did not apply any dealership name tags when they prep'd the car.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
tksuther I feel your pain. I live in Illinois that also has the stupid front license law. I think I'll leave mine off until I get pulled over. If you don't want to drill holes in the bumper and just need a temporary securing use velcro. Put on strip on the bumper the other on the plate and wallah! You could also cut the heads off a couple of screws then glue them to the plate, making it look like the plate is screwed into the bumper. :thumbsup congrats on the 'stang, I should be getting mine close to Christmas.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Velcro

mustangtk said:
tksuther I feel your pain. I live in Illinois that also has the stupid front license law. I think I'll leave mine off until I get pulled over. If you don't want to drill holes in the bumper and just need a temporary securing use velcro. Put on strip on the bumper the other on the plate and wallah! You could also cut the heads off a couple of screws then glue them to the plate, making it look like the plate is screwed into the bumper. :thumbsup congrats on the 'stang, I should be getting mine close to Christmas.
Yeah - I thought about the velcro method too. I think I'll try it. I'll report back! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I use push pins (http://secure.50resto.com/images/10176bhdw.jpg) in my 95 GT

Although i had to drill a couple of holes, with the push pins in place you barely notice.
You could clearcoat them to match your car color (my GT is black).

The nice thing is you can take the plate off whenever you want without the need of tools.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTRaptor said:

Although i had to drill a couple of holes, with the push pins in place you barely notice.

The nice thing is you can take the plate off whenever you want without the need of tools.
Thanks - another good tip but I cringe at the thought of firing-up the drill!

·
Registered
432 Posts
GTRaptor said:

you see...........thats why he gets the big money. :gringreen
thank you Raptor

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I don't like the front plate either and I don't have one on my car but it is the law here. Some citys are more strict than others in IL. If it were my new car and it didn't already have holes in the bumper then I would wait until i got pulled over then tell the cop the dealership didn't drill holes. Who knows you may get away with it for a while. I wouldn't even notice, I'd be to busy checking out the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dollarbill said:
I don't like the front plate either and I don't have one on my car but it is the law here. Some citys are more strict than others in IL. If it were my new car and it didn't already have holes in the bumper then I would wait until i got pulled over then tell the cop the dealership didn't drill holes. Who knows you may get away with it for a while. I wouldn't even notice, I'd be to busy checking out the car.
I plan to leave it off too - the problem is the requirement to have in place to get an inspection sticker. I'm going to try velcro (small piece) so I can remove after I get the sticker. Hopefully this will work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem with the velcro - it worked fine. The guys in the shop that did the inspection seemed too busy checking out the car to pay much attention anyway!

·
Registered
432 Posts
tksuther said:
No problem with the velcro - it worked fine. The guys in the shop that did the inspection seemed too busy checking out the car to pay much attention anyway!
good ....just make sure your always running legal....cuz now they will already have a reason to stop you.......Just another thought:drink:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
thunder05 said:
good ....just make sure your always running legal....cuz now they will already have a reason to stop you.......Just another thought:drink:
dont forget the braging rights on who gave out the first ticket to the first 05.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear you guys............. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
360 Posts
05BLACKGT01 said:
Mine was already drilled with a dealer plate on the front...:weeps
Ouch! Eventhough my state (Ohio) is a state which requires the front plate...It is actually a minor misdemeanor in Ohio for a dealership to drill into trim/bumpers without getting the OK from you in writing! Read the fine print though...you may have already consented somewhere else. For all the Ohio people, the details are at the link below and put in 4517.45.

If they would have drilled holes in my front bumper...they would have had to fix it...but you need to know your rights as well.

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

·
Registered
360 Posts
dollarbill said:
Yep..it depends on the police in the area and whether they care or not. Frankly, it is all officer discretion and many of the officers out there have plenty of "D" to let someone with a sweet looking car get away with a minor infraction. But there always the anal ones to worry about

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
heres a little tip i used on my gt. it had the saleen bumper and i didn't want to put any ugly plates on the front either. bend the plate to the contour of the front bumper. and use sticky velcro and stick it to your plate, then stick it onto your bumper. i would pull into the parking lot next to the inspection station and put it on. when the inspection is complete, just peel it off again. it worked for me for 3 years. they never noticed it wasn't "fastened" to the front bumper! hope this helps you out!
D'OH! sorry i didn't notice someone already gave out the velcro advice. but yes, it works terrific!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine was already drilled by the dealer also. I raised hell and wanted them to fill in the holes and repaint. They refused, wouldn't compensate on the price, but did give me a nice front plate with mustang on it. I'll hang it on the wall of my shop, and go to a body shop and get those darn holes filled in.
When I was about to drive off from the dealer, I went to the rear trunk lid, and pulled his tacky chrome name plate off and handed it to him. He said..........."what did you do that for?" I looked at his suit jacket and said. "Same reason you don't have a J.C. Penney tag on your jacket."

·
Registered
360 Posts
rondog said:
Mine was already drilled by the dealer also. I raised hell and wanted them to fill in the holes and repaint. They refused, wouldn't compensate on the price, but did give me a nice front plate with mustang on it. I'll hang it on the wall of my shop, and go to a body shop and get those darn holes filled in.
When I was about to drive off from the dealer, I went to the rear trunk lid, and pulled his tacky chrome name plate off and handed it to him. He said..........."what did you do that for?" I looked at his suit jacket and said. "Same reason you don't have a J.C. Penney tag on your jacket."
just isn't fair that the dealer can damage your property without any legal ramifications :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
Glad that PA doesn't have that. But I really hate when the dealer drills the holes anyway and puts a plate with his name on it.

When the time comes, I will say to the dealer "If you want your name on my car I want $2,000 for the advertising fee. If I want people to know where I bought the car I'll tell them."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts