Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2003 Mustang Coupe...119,000 miles...How much life expectancy can I expect. I keep hearing that Fords don't last that long. Looking for insight from owners. Thank you. asking $7500. Considering offering $5500. I welcome all comments. taking car to mechanic tomorrow. Bumblebee yellow. gorgeous car.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd keep looking that seems alittle steep for how many miles are on it. Remember to not fall in love with a car when you do you overlook flaws.
Check this one out around your area
*** Like New *** __2002 Ford Mustang__ *** A Must See ***

Half the miles and under the price they were asking

·
Registered
457 Posts
hey, I'm not an expert on this topic but I'll say my opinion on it.
I think a car with 119K miles *could be* in just as good or better
of shape as one with 50K miles. It really depends on how the car was kept...
(i.e- was it garaged, or kept outside), the engine would also depend on
how well it was maintained. I think what you have heard about Fords not lasting long as other brand cars is just simply not true. I think some things in mustang design in the different generation cars might be common things that break first (for example in the foxbodies, the ashtray or armrest will often break and not close right...) but those are around 20 year old cars... not sure the common things that break in the 20XX year mustangs. I do not know if facts like this have been taken to exist but
I'd love to see some fact numbers about how many cars from what companies are still on the road after so many years. I know I pay a lot more attention to mustangs and jeeps on the road than any other car that I pass, but trust me... there is a LOT of older mustangs still on the road from the years of 1965-2010 and soon 2011. I would not worry about the car ford brand not being a long laster. With proper care and maintenance I think a car could last a lifetime (and hopefully a LONG lifetime).
Regarding the car you are looking at getting and the price they are asking for it... I don't know the condition of the car or much about the market asking price for that year model (im a foxbody guy...) but if you've looked at a lot of those cars for sale, you'll know a fair asking price for it... it seems like you already have some idea of what you'd think the car was worth, and I think its always a good idea to see how firm or negotiable the seller is on the asking price. I think it can't hurt to make an offer that you think is a fair price even if it is much lower than the original asking price. The worst they can say is 'no' and may or may not make a counter offer, which you could accept or make another counter offer back and so on until a middle ground may be reached and agreed upon. Some of that may be common knowledge, but I've really been into shopping for and buying cars this year so I'd have a lot of insight on making mustang deals. If you are really unsure about the common market value of the car, theres kellys blue book OR I think better yet, for a practical real world example: check the asking prices of other similar cars online to see how much they are selling for on places like craigslist or ebay. Best of luck to you on purchasing a mustang.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well obviously how a car has been taken care of will determine how long an engine will last. But considering alot of people think changing the oil every six months is acceptable Also not determining how many miles have been driven between each change.
I'd go with the lowest mileage possible to ensure that its had the least amount of possible poor maintenance. I mean a car fax won't tell you everything some idiot put into their car

·
Registered
457 Posts
good points Night_Rider Kit...
my post about the 119k vs. 50k miles above was not in reference to your first post about the car with low miles but more general of an idea. I agree with you about the oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
507 Posts
good points Night_Rider Kit...
my post about the 119k vs. 50k miles above was not in reference to your first post about the car with low miles but more general of an idea. I agree with you about the oil changes, etc.
You are right an engine that is taken care of will run for a long time. I remember some guy on letterman awhile ago ran up like a MILLION miles on a car and they gave him a new one. But Its just most people have to get their cars serviced or else they'd be putting windshield washer fluid in their oil. Sorry I didn't mean to come off as a **** although i do alot haha.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
119K is really nothing if the maintenance was done as scheduled. It's just a shade high on the mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know but I think $7500 for an '03 with more than 100k miles on it is a bit much. This is of course my opinion.

I bought my '03 convertible about a year ago for $4,800 with about 75,XXX miles on it. One owner. So far it rides like a champ and I am damn proud of my purchase.

Now, if the price is lowered and the owner took well care of it and there's no knocks or weird noises coming from the engine and the carfax looks good and the pony looks pretty then GO FOR IT. :thumbup:

·
Registered
715 Posts
My 99 GT was $6800.00 with 68,000 miles to give you a comparison.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 99 GT was $6800.00 with 68,000 miles to give you a comparison.

my car has over 130k.. and it runs great... i and plan on keeping her... my accord 2000 had 180k and the engine was strong as ever..

when you say how long will a car last? what exactly do you mean? are you talking about engine, drive train? things are goign to brake on cars.... regardless of miles... my friend 05 bmw 33oci already needs new power steering pump and oil pan gasket replaced, and the rack and pinion migth need to be replaced, and this car came from one of the largest bmw dealers in ct mauto motors... and the car has less than 80k

R

·
0 Posts
My car has 124,800 miles on it as of this morning. The only thing major that has gone wrong is the fuel pump died at 120k miles. That was a fairly easy fix. Other than that, it runs like a champ. The transmissions syncros are starting to get a little touchy and the rear main seal leaks a bit. I'm going to be putting at least 25k more miles on her in the next two years commuting. I foresee no problems during that time as long as I take car of her.
Once she hits 150K I'm thinking a complete rebuild maybe with some ported heads and a cam. :yup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.