Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i bought my car the odometer read 72,000 somthing. not to bad right? Well come to find out, i did a carfax report today and my car has 172,000:eek:. so im not very happy right now.

What is the average life span of the 87-93 stangs? w/o a rebuild.
i know my tranny has been replaced but thats besides the fact.
should i start saving for the crate engine? or do i have a while, im unsure of how often my oil is changed before me but i do it ever 2,000 miles and before storage with mobile fully synthetic.

so on average what should i expect for my pony?:headscratch:

·
Registered
27 Posts
go on google and find a VIN checker and find out if your engine is the same one that came stock with it. if not then you shouldnt worry and the mileage you got shouldnt worry you too much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay this might sounds stupid, where would the VIN be for my engine or whatever.
and ill have to check tomorrow its dark right now lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
its different on every engine. but you can use the VIN on your dash, they have almost all of the info on the car in that number. it tells what option came with it and everything. so if the motor is different than the one stated on the VIN check you 74k miles are good

G

·
well if you look at this way

172,000 divided by 20 years = 8,600 mile per year

not high mileage for a daily driver :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
576 Posts
my 86' 5.0 lasted 20 years and 270,000miles without one rebuild... the motor fell apart and every gasket was leaking when I pulled it out but it took a beating and with new gaskets it would still spin 6k a few more times... I hear thats rare though, I would say 100,000miles and it needs a rebuild just because there might be 10 guys in the country who can honestly say their 5.0 hasnt been abused

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's a thread in The Mustang Lounge about a women that has a 88 or 89 GT with 600K on the engine. The engine will probably outlast the body, but it's still going. Alot depends on how well they are treated, oil changes, tune ups, etc.....:scratchchin

·
Registered
158 Posts
on time oil changes are the key. I have a pickup truck with 200,000 plus on it, and it still runs strong. My 93 Olds has 150,000 on it, and it still runs great and passes smog. My old 88 GT had well over 100,000 on it, and it ran great. I took that engine apart, measured everything, balanced it, trued every surface and put it back together. That thing still had cross hatches in the cylinder walls, which is not uncommon for the 289/302 engines. it lives under the hood of my '94 GT now, putting out 300 HP to the rear tires.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It all depends on how you run the car. Let the car warm up before you beat on it. Keep the oil clean and full and try not to run the car at 5,000 rpms for 10 miles at a time. My 90 gt has 143000 miles and still runs good with no smoke. I think the bigger problems with these injected cars is the amount of extra wires that become old and brittle over time then break and cause the car to run bad also the grounds for the electrical system should be kept clean and intact.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The life span depends on the maintenance. I've heard of 200000+ miles is easy.

·
Registered
1994 Black on Black Cobra
104 Posts
I agree with eagle, I've also heard of 200,000+ easy when it comes to the 5.0. I've got 155,000 on my beast and it still runs like a champ with no smoke ,no leaks and still all original.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay well thanks everyone.
hopfully she will last a couple more years at least..i know she will
then ill have to drop the 7.5L :bigthumbsup haha

·
Registered
861 Posts
Once again, I'm in agreement with Eagle, here.

It depends on how the Engine was run and how on top of the Maintenance the Individual is.

Basic Servicings?! :bigthumbsup

-YB

·
Registered
941 Posts
i tell you the 5.0 motor is a nice piece of work these things dont know how to die my old 84 had 190k ran like a champ still cooked its rice race by several different owner's and my dads crown vic had over 210k ran like a champ no smoke neither used any oil but the 84 was rusted really bad and was not worth fixing the whole car up my 88 i bought had 69k when i bought it they said its original miles but idk i wished i knew but your motor has got atleast 75k miles in it the 5.0 can take a beating i tied to get the 84 to blow up lol but it refused

ps anyone know where to get a vin check without having to pay for it? or has someone paid for unlimited access that would kindly check mine for me if so pm me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.