Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to all...my 99 GT has developed a noisey metal-on-metal rattle that has gotten quite bad over the last 3k miles. It appears to be located on the pass. side toward the firewall if I were to guess. Are there many of you out there who have actually fixed their engine noise with a new set of 'lifters'??(valve lash adjusters, actually) When I start the car up after hours of sitting the noise is much quieter, until about a minute of driving and then it is quite noticeable...and usually only kicks in as I approach 1,800 - 2,000 RPM when crusing...If I hit the throttle in any gear the noise gets quieter - same thing if I let the engine slow the car down on deceleration. Just very noisey when there is not much pressure being created (cruising)

I've been told things like a bad lifter...a wrist pin (ouch!)...input shaft bearing, but I don't want to replace all the lifters ($3-400) if the problem lies somewhere else. The car has 77k miles on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
horseplayer said:
Hey to all...my 99 GT has developed a noisey metal-on-metal rattle that has gotten quite bad over the last 3k miles. It appears to be located on the pass. side toward the firewall if I were to guess. Are there many of you out there who have actually fixed their engine noise with a new set of 'lifters'??(valve lash adjusters, actually) When I start the car up after hours of sitting the noise is much quieter, until about a minute of driving and then it is quite noticeable...and usually only kicks in as I approach 1,800 - 2,000 RPM when crusing...If I hit the throttle in any gear the noise gets quieter - same thing if I let the engine slow the car down on deceleration. Just very noisey when there is not much pressure being created (cruising)

I've been told things like a bad lifter...a wrist pin (ouch!)...input shaft bearing, but I don't want to replace all the lifters ($3-400) if the problem lies somewhere else. The car has 77k miles on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
There is a TSB out for defective heads. Ford should fix it for free. PM me for details.

·
Registered
736 Posts
In the meantime it would be a good idea to put some good synthetic oil in there. Maybe that would keep any more damage from occuring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As you describe it i have the same problem and i replaced the valve lash adjusters and it didnt fix it. So now im pulling the engine because of a blown plug and will look into what is causing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not good

well not good news for me...and maybe mustangteen88 as well. installed new lash adjusters today - with no improvement in the ugly noise. It looks now as though the problem is the rod bearings - just as I saw in another post. Not a good day, but on the bright side of things I can start looking for a new powerplant for the steed....can you say 5.4L?? we'll see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.