Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this for about an hour tonight and an hour last night. Every thread on here or that I found had similar problem as mine, except one major thing. Now when I crank my car I can hear a pretty loud tap and just like everyone else after a few minutes it goes away. Only, when I get on it in higher gears it comes back at around 3800 rpms. Oil level and pressure is good. The sound when I start is very loud and noticeable. Almost embarrassing to drive through a parking lot after it sitting for a few hours. Then there is the problem of when the rpms rap up and it does it again. Can this be a bad lifter? if so how do I check it? fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i may be wrong but do the modulars even HAVE "lifters" assuming by "lifter" u mean the part that rides on the cam and pushes the pushrod??
anywho i would check the cam caps and bearings that hold the cam down on top of the head... if u only take ONE OFF AT A TIME you shouldnt have to tear down the motor down to timing chains and all... inspect each bearing and make sure all bearing caps are tight to proper torque specs

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does this only happen when the engine is cold? Or is it all the time no matter how warm the engine is or how long you drive? My car has cold engine piston rattle which goes away after driving a little bit. I know of others that have the same thing. Not sure if this is what's happening in your case or not. Also, I believe there were some valve guide issues with the heads on some years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At low rpms I have it when it has been sitting. But no matter the temp on the highway at the high rpms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.