Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock pirellis are about done and well..19s suck.
So its fork out about 600$ a tire here for pirellis or for cheaper get wheels and tires in thr us and pick em ip at ghe border.

Im looking for a decently light seg of 18s that wont cost me an arm and a leg and need spacers and all that.
Nice simple light direct swap with a good recommendation for some good tires stickier tgen the stock pirellis.
Maybe nittks in 275s? Iunno im all ears you guys are the pros!

Thanks

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
personally I'd look on Ebay or Craigslist for a takeoff set...I recently scored a set of $900 Bridgestones for my M45 for $255 on ebay:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a cheap option but id like to go for lighter 18s like under 20pnd wheels.
Lots more tire choices and lughter is always better for performance/handling

·
Registered
108 Posts
You'll need to get forged wheels. I suggest Fiske or CCW. Yes, they wont be cheap.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The Tire Rack is one of the few wheel outlets I've found who list weights, when avail.

You obviously know your other issue w/18's will be clearing your Brembos w/o spacers, which will be a hurdle in itself. Many 18s geared for these cars state they won't clear. Not that there aren't any. One potential tool is a brake to wheel template. Rick Elam of Baer Brakes sent me a link to one, which I can't can't get to work now, for their Front Extreme Plus 14 SDZ rotor. Brake fit Template:N047P. Perhaps Ford has one avail for your brakes.

Desired tire size and whether staggering or not will also be a factor, regarding the smallest width wheel that will safely handle that width.

I've not seen many that fall below the 20# mark, either, but have noted many that range 22-25#, and some that I would even consider affordable.

I'm sure you know another area to reduce rotating mass is the driveline. I've been talking with PST and ACPT.

G

·

·
Registered
941 Posts
Wow, Grim, that's excellent. I'd made a mental note that Enkei's were one who made affordable light weight wheels. Bummer the weights aren't listed in the links, but you state the 18.3 is verified on the 9's? I'd guess the 9 1/2's can't be more than a couple #'s heavier? Not a perfect offset, though? You running these?

·
Registered
941 Posts
that's why I hadn't settled on Enkei's...had difficulty finding proper offsets in wheels I liked.

G

·
Wow, Grim, that's excellent. I'd made a mental note that Enkei's were one who made affordable light weight wheels. Bummer the weights aren't listed in the links, but you state the 18.3 is verified on the 9's? I'd guess the 9 1/2's can't be more than a couple #'s heavier? Not a perfect offset, though? You running these?
Not me, Jsnyng is. I am very interested in these myself, though.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...oes-5-0-enkei-pf01-w-285-35-hankook-rs3s.html

·
Registered
941 Posts
ooooo...got through the 1st page, I like. Gotta hit the shower and off to work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
those pf01s are very nice!
tire suggestions? is there such a thing as better treadwear AND grip then the not so grippy dont last 10k km stock pirellis?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Forgestar rims ...

·
Registered
297 Posts
those pf01s are very nice!
tire suggestions? is there such a thing as better treadwear AND grip then the not so grippy dont last 10k km stock pirellis?
if you are not tracking the car.

check out the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110.

have been on track with them they do well.

on the street they do as well as the star specs.

beers

·
Registered
86 Posts
A set of Roush RR03 wheels is considerably lighter than stock. They are a bit pricy though if you can find them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts