Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've got a serious speeding problem in this car. Everytime I'm on the freeway I find myself flying down the fast lane at 85-90. I caught myself doing it again the other day, and had a second to reflect on exactly why I can't seem to keep a less ticketable speed.

I think part of the reason is the car just feels perfect at 90mph. It's rock solid, the engines puring away, and it really feels like 65mph to me. Now I'm sitting in the fast lane and thinking no, that's only part of the reason. My forester feels the same way and I don't speed all that much in that car. It hit me then as a big lumbering soccer mom driven SUV scrambled to clear the fast lane for me.

People are actually getting out of my way! Traffic is actually clearing the lane I'm in so I can pass. WTF? is going on? If I was in my forester I'd have to drive up that ladies colon to get her moving into the slow lane. Why is it people are way way more likely to clear the lane for the mustang than any other car I own?

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's the way my hood looked before I installed hood pins. At 80+ my hood looked like Moses parting the Red Sea.

·
Registered
214 Posts
they see it as "shyt, better move before i GET moved"..
same thing use to happen when i had my civic..i had a CF hood with the SS scoop
scoop on, people move, and quickly..
no scoop and i was on the brakes steadily..

Mustang tho??

no scoop needed :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Vandil said:
Now I've got a serious speeding problem in this car. Everytime I'm on the freeway I find myself flying down the fast lane at 85-90. I caught myself doing it again the other day, and had a second to reflect on exactly why I can't seem to keep a less ticketable speed.

I think part of the reason is the car just feels perfect at 90mph. It's rock solid, the engines puring away, and it really feels like 65mph to me. Now I'm sitting in the fast lane and thinking no, that's only part of the reason. My forester feels the same way and I don't speed all that much in that car. It hit me then as a big lumbering soccer mom driven SUV scrambled to clear the fast lane for me.

People are actually getting out of my way! Traffic is actually clearing the lane I'm in so I can pass. WTF? is going on? If I was in my forester I'd have to drive up that ladies colon to get her moving into the slow lane. Why is it people are way way more likely to clear the lane for the mustang than any other car I own?
Vandil, You to??? I can't believe how easy it is to find yourself doing the 90 thing. The car just feels right at that speed and I think it could do it all day long. As far as people getting out of your way I have a theory -- They see the car in their rear view and pull over so they can see it drive by and get the total picture of how good it looks. It takes real concentration to stay at less than 10 miles over the limit to reduce the possibility of getting a ticket. On one hand its great on the other its a "flaw" built in to keep us coming back for more. Having had 65's,67's,69's and a 65 GT 350 , this mustang is the most fun on average. I would, however, give my left huevo to have the 65 GT 350 back in my garage. I have tried to make the new one look like a Shelby. Can't wait for spring and swept roads to break her out again. :laughlitt :happyhapp

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
:eyepoppin Hey There slwtr,Nice wheels,speaking of 66 GT350's .On Speed vision last night watching the Barrett Jackson car auction rerstored 666 Shelby GT350 H the Old Hertz rentals went on the blocks and sold for $169,000. Toatally wcaked out price.Set see that only about $165,000 profit.What you think an 05 will be worth in 40 years.By the way I;m just arounfd the bend from you up in Glastonbury.Hurry spring on 05 Black GT is waiting for me in the garage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Vandil said:
It hit me then as a big lumbering soccer mom driven SUV scrambled to clear the fast lane for me.
Same thing here. I try to not go over 70mph but I always do. They sure do scramble out of the way here. It happens so much I almost expect the car ahead to move. Maybe it's a Madison thing.

On the bright side I don't see too many cops on the highway either, but I don't let my guard down.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't think it's you cars...I think it's the fact that you're doing 90 and I don't know anyone that would wanna sit in that lane with a car gaining like that on me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In Dallas we have the North Dallas Tollway or as we like to call it the Texas Autobahn....80 is the norm for most, and my GT loves it

·
Registered
444 Posts
When someone else is driving this car I tell them they can go as fast as they want, but if they don't want a ticket, they better set the cruise because this car loves 90 and you don't know she's up there until you notice you're passing everyone.I really don't know why, but 90 just feels right. I've also noticed that other drivers will move over even if I'm not close behind. I always thought they saw the stripes and just assumed i'd want to pass.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Perhaps it's just the speed, but I've driven that section of highway for years. Interstate 90+94 run on the same 3 lane road surface for 30 miles with an interstate exit on the left lane. It's really common to find some clown parked in the fast lane going 65mph 10 miles out from the exit. Or you'll have a car going +2mph over the center lane speed yet refuses to pull over because of the amount of semis riding the center lane(they want that left hand exit to).

I've even had cars pull off the road on 2 lane back roads so I can go around them in no passing zones. It's just plain weird and it's not like I'm riding up on there tail end, I fear the rock chips.

:edit Dur I'll learn me some spelling one day. :dunce:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anybody else notice that the exhaust tone just starts to become audible at 80 mph (2500 RPM in 5th) Before I noticed this, I was always cruising at over 80 by "accident". As stated above, this car just feels right around 85 - 90.

·
Registered
229 Posts
zoomerman46 said:
:eyepoppin Hey There slwtr,Nice wheels,speaking of 66 GT350's .On Speed vision last night watching the Barrett Jackson car auction rerstored 666 Shelby GT350 H the Old Hertz rentals went on the blocks and sold for $169,000. Toatally wcaked out price.Set see that only about $165,000 profit.What you think an 05 will be worth in 40 years.By the way I;m just arounfd the bend from you up in Glastonbury.Hurry spring on 05 Black GT is waiting for me in the garage.
zoomerman46, Thanks ! I am really waiting for spring. It can't get here fast enough. I don't think the 05 GT's will be worth that much. Perhaps in 40 years it will bring mid 20's in primo shape. Now the new Shelby might be worth more but quite a few owners will put them away hoping for a repeat like the 60's and early 70's did for the original Shelbys - so they won't be as high priced comparatively either imho.. Not to say I'm not going to try and buy one as soon as they are available just to have one.
Are you aware of any cruises or meets for mustangs in central CT? I'd like to do some driving aroound this year now that mine is "done" and ready to go as far as mods are concerned.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there any chance you're driving with your lights on? I always run with my lights on so that I'm easier to see in the daytime. I too, have noticed folks' tendency to move out of my lane well before I even approach... in fact, it happened to me twice yesterday and I was totally bewildered. The truth is, it somewhat unnerves me because I'm afraid that someone will make an unsafe move out of fear... (and I too, do not drive up close to people for fear of the gravel kick back). So, I don't know why but there is certainly a big difference in the way other drivers respond to my Mustang as compared to my '96 Civic, which I also drive with lights on during the day. BTW: I've only had mine for 6 days and am trying desperately to break it in carefully, but am having the same speeding problem. For me, it's the fact that pressing down moderately on the gas for even a few seconds usually puts me at least 15mph above where I started. It's generally my policy not to exceed 10mph over the posted limit as a cruising speed. But yesterday I hit 120 after a "little" 5 or 6 second blast at 75mph just "for kicks". God help me when I get a few hundred more miles on it and start letting the tach approach the redline!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Black06 said:
Anybody else notice that the exhaust tone just starts to become audible at 80 mph (2500 RPM in 5th) Before I noticed this, I was always cruising at over 80 by "accident". As stated above, this car just feels right around 85 - 90.
IT depends on RPM not speed. My exuahst note is audible 3-4K +

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Vandil said:
I think that serious problem your having driving 85-90 is called..."FUN":happyhapp
I have lots of fun but I use the cruise control when I can't control the urge>>>my passenger(wife) says to use the slow button and take my foot off the other joy stick:rolleyes:

·
Registered
633 Posts
65205 said:
When someone else is driving this car...
:what::sterb::eek:

j/k:winks

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Vandil said:
I noticed the same thing today. The headlights/grille make it *look* like a fast car. It also looks angry and like it is supposed to be going fast. Like it is scowling for you to get out of the way :)

At 4:30AM, I watched a girl miss her green light because she was looking at my car :) At night, the black just disappears. It is so dark, the people at work mostly missed that it was in the lot. I am worried people will drive into it, in the lot. It looks like a "hole in the night", until I turn on the lights.

Has anyone noticed how huge the car looks with the lights on, in the dark? The headlights are so far apart [right at the very edges of the car], it looks like a much wider car.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Darth said:
I have lots of fun but I use the cruise control when I can't control the urge>>>my passenger(wife) says to use the slow button and take my foot off the other joy stick:rolleyes:
I like that. "Slow Button" :) I really need it. It is so hard not to let it down, when you see a long, empty stretch. My leg aches and I have to hit the CC or it is all going to happen. I love how this car sounds at 4-5,000RPM.

And accelerating :|

·
Registered
11 Posts
They Move They All Move My Buddy Was Like How Fast Are We Going I Was Like About 100 He Didnt Beleve Me Till He Looked Over I Might Get Hood Pins The Hood Moves A Bunch Above 90 And I Do That Every Morning To Work Live On A Empty Streatch Of Turnpike If There Is Someone They Just Move Alot More Imposing In Traffic Then My Customized F150 I Sold For It And I Havent Started Woking On It Yet

·
Registered
358 Posts
I find people tend to get out of the way also. I think it is respect (at least that sounds kewl).
But here is a funny story that happened a few days ago.
Me and the son are just cruisin back from the store talkin about cam curves and torque bands (Yes this is normal for us).
Anyway my son asks where the cam falls off in this thing (refering to my GT we were in).
So we decide to find out.
Now me being the honest law abiding citizen I is, (And I dont want to do 140 down a 2 lane road with traffic) I shift it down to 3rd (5 speed auto) and floor it to watch the rpm gauge. Now this lady going the opposite direction must have seen when the car bears down in the back and launches and she freaks.
She pulls over off onto the shoulder on her side as if we are going to swerve into her lane. My son said her eyes were like bugging :shocked: and she was freaking out as went by.
I was in my lane and stable as hell. We didnt break more than 60 mph before I backed off (55 Speedlimit btw).
Never did get to the cam level because I saw we were freakin the ol gal out and we were not going to be anwhere near at at 60.
Funny how people react though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.