Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard its pretty pointless to put in a LSD on a V6, but what do you guys think? Im thinking about installing it and need tips...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you drive in snow or run the drag strip then it's worth while. Otherwise, probably not.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
going to have to disagree with .boB

An LSD and some gears are nice upgrade! Especially if you like more spirited driving. When i first got mine installed I couldn't believe just how much better the car went around hard turns when you stepped on the gas!

And besides one wheel peels are lame! LOL!

http://www.v6john.com/Main/Videos/scrming_burnout.wmv

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
going to have to disagree with .boB

An LSD and some gears are nice upgrade! Especially if you like more spirited driving. When i first got mine installed I couldn't believe just how much better the car went around hard turns when you stepped on the gas!

And besides one wheel peels are lame! LOL!

http://www.v6john.com/Main/Videos/scrming_burnout.wmv
Agree... It's quite an improvement over the open differential.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Pointless in relation to what? Normal driving? If so, you're right. LSD wouldn't make too much of a difference in normal driving until you get in the rain or somewhere else where you lose traction much easier.

Now if you're talking race, it could mean the difference between winning and losing, not to mention its a worthy upgrade if you're doing gears and want to put those extra balls to the ground. :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a v6 and am in desparate need of a LSD or locker in mine. With the tires on my mustang right now, it's almost impossible to stomp it and go anywhere. I just sit there or slowly take off at a walking pace and smoke one wheel for half a block unless I pause to let the tire get traction. It intimidates the heck out of the ricers, which is a good thing, because if anyone actually tried to race me they'd win while I'd be just sitting and spinning a wheel.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have a v6 and am in desparate need of a LSD or locker in mine. With the tires on my mustang right now, it's almost impossible to stomp it and go anywhere. I just sit there or slowly take off at a walking pace and smoke one wheel for half a block unless I pause to let the tire get traction. It intimidates the heck out of the ricers, which is a good thing, because if anyone actually tried to race me they'd win while I'd be just sitting and spinning a wheel.
Yeah, but you'd look good doing it! :shigrin

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yeah, but you'd look good doing it! :shigrin
The official photographer at RaceLegal/Qualcomm eighth-mile drags will ignore you unless you put up a cloud of smoke. I always keep an eye on him in the burnout area, and make noise as if I'm going to do a big one; when I see him turn my way, I get off it before the smoke appears. Heh.

Matter of fact, I do very much want that limited slip. Here's the scenario: when my car was unTuned, It was not a real wheel-spinner, so it didn't make much difference which way I'd launch, "power-brake" or just slap the throttle.

With the [email protected]@chips tunes, it became a factor: with the 91 torque tune (fat curve low down), either technique would spin that wheel and make near-to-no progress. I had to learn to feather the throttle just right: come off too much and it would shift up (smart transmission) and bog down; too little and it would continue to spin. It also spun on the 1-2 shift; more time wasted.

With the 91 performance tune it didn't break the right rear loose as easily, quicker launches, then the horsepower would come on at a place where it spun less on the 1-2 shift, and romped on down the track.

In either case, the LSD would reduce the wheelspin and facilitate lower ETs.

I had a Detroit Locker in an MGB I raced. It was not that bad on the racetrack, although you had to anticipate the "racheting" action when it engaged/disengaged. The Chevrolet LSDs in my racing Vegas were smooth, but seemed to lose their ability to limit slip when they got hot after 20 laps or so of a road course.

I don't expect I'll ever get my V6 on a road course for long enough to get the differential hot, but at the drags, I want that Trac-Loc, or whatever Ford calls it.

If I weren't doing drags and autocrosses, I don't think I would consider a Limited Slip Differential a necessary item.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
The official photographer at RaceLegal/Qualcomm eighth-mile drags will ignore you unless you put up a cloud of smoke. I always keep an eye on him in the burnout area, and make noise as if I'm going to do a big one; when I see him turn my way, I get off it before the smoke appears. Heh.

Matter of fact, I do very much want that limited slip. Here's the scenario: when my car was unTuned, It was not a real wheel-spinner, so it didn't make much difference which way I'd launch, "power-brake" or just slap the throttle.

With the [email protected]@chips tunes, it became a factor: with the 91 torque tune (fat curve low down), either technique would spin that wheel and make near-to-no progress. I had to learn to feather the throttle just right: come off too much and it would shift up (smart transmission) and bog down; too little and it would continue to spin. It also spun on the 1-2 shift; more time wasted.

With the 91 performance tune it didn't break the right rear loose as easily, quicker launches, then the horsepower would come on at a place where it spun less on the 1-2 shift, and romped on down the track.

In either case, the LSD would reduce the wheelspin and facilitate lower ETs.

I had a Detroit Locker in an MGB I raced. It was not that bad on the racetrack, although you had to anticipate the "racheting" action when it engaged/disengaged. The Chevrolet LSDs in my racing Vegas were smooth, but seemed to lose their ability to limit slip when they got hot after 20 laps or so of a road course.

I don't expect I'll ever get my V6 on a road course for long enough to get the differential hot, but at the drags, I want that Trac-Loc, or whatever Ford calls it.

If I weren't doing drags and autocrosses, I don't think I would consider a Limited Slip Differential a necessary item.
It's even fun on the street from time to time :shigrin

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
whats the averave cost of a locker for a v6 2005+ mustang, plus instal? surely you need a mech to get it installed properly

·
Registered
889 Posts
I went in to price a tlock for my v6 at the local Ford dealer a couple months ago. According to thier parts and service dept no v6's ever came with a tlock and the part is unavailable for the v6. However, if the part were available for the v6, it would cost $550 for the labor to install it.

I think Ford needs to do a little 'Quality is job one' on thier employees and I guarantee I'll never be taking my car there for any work. Couldn't get out of thier parking lot fast enough.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ford doesn't offer one but ford racing does, which is what I have been asking about around here. A dealer is telling me $265 for the part but have to add the bearings and all that and they havent talked to me since I asked how much for everything

·
Registered
889 Posts
ford doesn't offer one but ford racing does, which is what I have been asking about around here.
Doesn't make any sense to me. According to the service and repair computers at the dealership, the tlock isn't even an option on the v6's and never came with it. What are all the folks with tlocks going to do when the friction plates in thier tlock need to be replaced. Because it's not listed in thier computer, will they try to not warranty it? I've also found that it's almost impossible to order the right part for my 05. In 06 they redid all the part #'s so nothing matches when they cross reference the 05 numbers. I have to circle around thier counter and look at the exploded diagrams with them and point out the part I want if I want to get the right one the first time.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.