Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Friday I'll be ordering a Screaming Yellow GT Coupe, Auto (Had to compromise with wife) and the vehicle comes with traction control. I would like somebodys opinion re the limited slip differential option. I understand that it transfers power to another wheel when one is slipping. Isn't this kinda like what traction control already does? Please help me decide if this is an option I should get or forget. Thanks!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
That would be a "must have" if you plan on doing any hard launches. TCS limits the wheel slip using the brakes and RPM control. Good if you're on ice and trying to stay in control of the car.

Where as the LSD evenly distributes power to both output shafts regardless of traction.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Isn't the trac-loc standard on the gt and optional on the v6 ?

Trac-loc - prevents 1 wheel burnouts :eyepoppin
Traction Control - prevents burnouts!!:winks

·
Registered
897 Posts
ultraclyde said:

Trac-Loc is standard on the GT. I don't see it being offered in the V6

The GT diff specs are 8.8" 3.55 gear ratio 31 spline axles with Trac-Loc

·
Registered
394 Posts
ultraclyde said:

You can order the Trac-loc from FRPP for around $200. Not sure how much to install, though. I really plan on doing this early next year.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I saw a thread over on mustangsource saying the 06 GT's had the LSD as a paid option, where the 05's had it as part of the standard GT package. I figured the poster had seen a similar option break down some where.

Wouldn't know personally, orderd an 05 myself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ultraclyde said:

If you intend on drag racing the car, you may want to look at going to a different dif. alltogether. After one season of racing, my stock traction lock dif. has started to wear out. I've noticed alot of play in the spyder gears, as well as I believe one wheel is starting to spin more in the waterbox when doing a burn out. ie weak traction lock spring. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an option sheet for the '06 and the cost is around $275. I'm 58 and have no intention of ever racing the car or flooring it from a dead stop. Does this mean that I should not consider adding limited slip as an option?? Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My dad is 57, I've never known the man to race or drive faster than 10mph over the limit. 5 minutes with him in the drivers seat of my GT and we're rocketting down a back highway @100+mph with a cloud of smoke behind us and $hit eating grin on his face.

NEVER is a very long time :winks and at less than $300 I'd add it, even if I told myself it was only to make it an easy resale later down the road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How come that option does not show up when you build a car on the Ford website? I guess my 2006 does not have it then because I thought it was standard. That website does not list it. :sosad:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm with vandil on this one. 275 is a LOT cheaper than adding it later. You might never need it, but then again, you might....:laughlitt

this from a guy who checked all the option boxes........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Limited Slip is not an option on Mustangs built for the US market.

It is standard on GT's and not available on V6's

From the latest 2006 order guide:

AXLE AVAILABILITY

• Axle Ratio = 3.31 V6 Manual/Automatic and GT Automatic Transmissions (Limited Slip on GT).

• Axle Ratio = 3.55 Limited Slip GT Manual Transmission Only.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ultraclyde said:
I'm with vandil on this one. 275 is a LOT cheaper than adding it later. You might never need it, but then again, you might....:laughlitt

this from a guy who checked all the option boxes........:rolleyes:
I third vandil and ultraclyde...once you go mach speed outta some stop lights, you'll start thinking about the dragstrip...and once you hit the dragstrip, chances are very good you're gonna get hooked (literally and figuratively)...and the LSD, it is a crazy good trip, man! Even with my Sixer and 210 hp, the one wheel takeoffs were no fun. With 300-plus -- well, ya gotta do it, bro...

·
Registered
897 Posts
thump_rrr said:
Trac-Loc is standard on the GT. I don't see it being offered in the V6

The GT diff specs are 8.8" 3.55 gear ratio 31 spline axles with Trac-Loc
Sorry to all the Automatic owners I forgot you people have 3.31 Gear Ratio.

I can't edit my previous post fore some reason.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hey anybody running any different gears....:cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
correction anybody running 4.30 gears with a 5speed????

·
Registered
829 Posts
yep, there's a guy with the light blue here that is. I have his pic as my desktop right now! I have attached the pic. I would love to give credit so I hope he steps up! :drink:
darkdayz said:
correction anybody running 4.30 gears with a 5speed????

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
The 06 Mustang brochure says that traction loc is optional on automatic GTs.:sosad:

·
Registered
897 Posts
hogpowr said:
The 06 Mustang brochure says that traction loc is optional on automatic GTs.:sosad:
There's no mention when you build online

·
Registered
191 Posts
how is the 4.30 on the street????? i am going back and fourth on weither to go with 4.10's or the 4.30 gears....i have offroad exhaust w/flowmasters,afe cold air, hurst shifter, 27545zr18 tires and i am going to program it but am waiting on the gear selection??????:?:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts