Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you hold one wheel if you have a limited slip diff.I when i hold one wheel i can turn the other is that normal with a limited slip?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
No not normally. with the rear up do the wheels turn the same direction? You can also look at the tag on the rear and on the ID sticker on the drivers side code.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Both wheels should turn the same direction with a LSD or opposite with an open diff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the wheels do turn in the same direction when i turn one wheel but i can have someone hold one wheel an i still can turn the other wheel with a little resistance.the tag shows (cd)3.55 with limited slip.But when i had the diff. cover off i did not any clutch packs or anything that looks like the old lsd. looked like.Thanks Rich

·
Registered
188 Posts
If a car has a limited slip differential, the way the wheels spin depends on whether its in neutral or not.

In neutral and both wheels in the air if you spin one the other will spin in the same direction. If the car is in gear, spin one and the other will spin in the opposite direction and it will be more difficult to spin the wheel than when its in neutral.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
the wheels do turn in the same direction when i turn one wheel but i can have someone hold one wheel an i still can turn the other wheel with a little resistance.the tag shows (cd)3.55 with limited slip.But when i had the diff. cover off i did not any clutch packs or anything that looks like the old lsd. looked like.Thanks Rich
The resistance that you feel when turning one wheel while someone holds the other wheel is due to the clutches applying force to the interior surface of the differential case. You are able to turn your wheel because you are applying sufficient torque to overcome the force from the clutches. If there were no clutches, then you would feel no resistance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is the difference between a LSD and a 'locker'. Remember, to turn a corner each rear wheel (all four wheels for that matter) turn at different speeds. You can go around a corner with LSD without any tire chirping because it is 'limited slip'. With a locking differential you would hear a whole lot of tire squealing every time you made a turn.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
That is the difference between a LSD and a 'locker'. Remember, to turn a corner each rear wheel (all four wheels for that matter) turn at different speeds. You can go around a corner with LSD without any tire chirping because it is 'limited slip'. With a locking differential you would hear a whole lot of tire squealing every time you made a turn.
If you take a turn under power with a locker that is ture. But if you coast around a corner it unlocks and acks like an open rear. Hit the power and its locked up again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.