Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few conversations about this system so I figured I would give a full list of parts needed and the cost for the system.

For those of you not familiar, this is to put a double din DVD/GPS SYSTEM in your late model Mustang. You are limited to certain Kenwood and Alpine units do get the functionality

What this system does is ties your stereo into your ECU AND Environmental Controls. It eliminates the factory environmental controls and allows you to control the environmental system with the touch screen.

It will also give you live data on two separate screens.

The first will show actual tire pressure on each tire. It will also give battery volts, tell you if a door, trunk, or hood is open, as well as let you check and clear your DTCs.

The second live data screen gives you 5 customizable gauges. There are several options I'll list the ones I can remember.

TPS
A/F
Intake temp
Exhaust temp
RPM
ENGINE LOAD
FUEL ECONOMY AVERAGE
FUEL ECONOMY INSTANT
MILES TO EMPTY
FUEL QUANTITY
Ambient temperature
I'm pretty sure there are a few more but I'm nowhere near the car right now so I can't verify what they are.

You can order all parts from crutchfield as well as several other sites. I didn't find any significant price differences anywhere except for on the actual stereo unit. All the install components are priced pretty much the same no matter where you look.

1. ADS-MRR interface module $149.99
2. ADS-KIT-MUS01 dash and wiring kit. $229.99
3. ADS-HRN(SR)-FOR01 interface kit. $29.99
4. Antenna adapter can be purchased pretty much anywhere for $10-15
5. Kenwood DVD-NAV unit. (Or alpine) Kenwood DDX891HD $1099.99. That's what I got. Love it except for the fact that it turns down A/C when you have an active call running through the stereo.
The Kenwood units will run anywhere from $450-1500 just depends on your flavor.

From my understanding the Kenwood has better integration and functionality than the alpine units. The idata was originally designed with the Kenwood units from what I have read.

Installation will cost between $150-300 depending on the shop and any discounts they may give if you purchase the head unit from them. Keep in mind you want to question the shop before you let them install. The stereo has to be programmed and calibrated to function correctly with you car and the Environmental controls. If your not concerned with keeping steering wheel control functions you can eliminate the $29.99 harness. But for that small amount on the overall price I figured why not.

Hope this is helpful to those of you looking at this system.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot about the USB ports on the dash bezel. I don't remember if I had to get cables to go from the bezel to the radio, or if they came with the kit.

Most of these radios only have one USB port. So you have two choices for making both ports on the bezel functional. First is to buy one of the higher end units. But if you do that remember that only one port is Apple compatable. The second port is for other non Apple types of media.

The other choice is to figure out a way to power the second USB from a power source inside the car. I chose to get the better stereo but that was not knowing that I can't charge 2 Apple products at once off the radio.

If I had known I might have gotten the slightly cheaper radio and sorted out a separate power source for the other USB port on the bezel. Considering I use all Apple products it kinda pissed me off spendin extra money to only be able to connect one device at a time, even just for charging purposes. Wish the vender would have told me that before I spent the extra cash.

Another feature I forgot to mention. If you get a 2014 model year stereo you can mirror your iPod or iPhone on the screen. This means you can connect your iPhone and view the picture and control it from the stereo. For those of you familiar, it works like Apple TV. Must be new apple devices though. iPhone 5 or 6. Don't know if it works with iPod touch or not.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Amazing how expensive it is to replace the stock unit, if they did not loop in the HVAC would have swapped it a long time ago to get usb and bluetooth.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I don't mind the HVAC being looped in. The reason they did it though is probably because there isn't room to put them on the bezel with the double din and the cubbie below. I'm also pretty sure the integration system would be much more difficult if they had to design a harness that pluged to separate controls.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry. No can do. The car is in my garage in Nevada while I'm in Saudi Arabia. Won't be home till just before Christmas.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have the maestro system with a Kenwood DNX890HD, very cool system for sure!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey would you mind posting pics of the gauge TPMS and HVAC pages so that these guys can see how the display looks on those? I would but I'm about 8000 miles away from the car right now.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey would you mind posting pics of the gauge TPMS and HVAC pages so that these guys can see how the display looks on those? I would but I'm about 8000 miles away from the car right now.
I can do that later after work

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you have the base model, do you still get the Environmental controls?

Also can I install it my self? Or would I have to program the radio in someway?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The system controls the HVAC. Bottom model or top model stereo, it doesn't matter. That's just part of the system. The stereo has to be calibrated to your car. I don't know how this is done so I don't know if you could do this yourself or not.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok, I had a 3 way active set up, I now have a 2 way with a sub.. I really want to try a that set up with the Environmental controls.. But if I do that, then my sound system will sound like **** without other things and I don't want so spend the money...I will have to think about it...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Will I get the..
TPS
A/F
Intake temp
Exhaust temp
RPM
ENGINE LOAD
FUEL ECONOMY AVERAGE
FUEL ECONOMY INSTANT
MILES TO EMPTY
FUEL QUANTITY
Ambient temperature

With the base model?!?!?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. All of that shows on the maestro IData system. Plus the secon page that shows each tires pressure any current DTC and any doors open. I have a base GT. ALL this shows on my unit. But you have to buy a compatible DVD/NAV Unit.

You can only show 5 of these perimeters at a time however. And there might be more perimeters you can monitor. I'm not near the car to check.

I can say that those are listed, maybe more.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok thanks.. I will look into it more..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Probably cheaper to integrate the HVAC with the stereo but obviously harder to repair, swap or troubleshoot for the backyard mechanic.

I'd perfer old school separate stereo with no HVAC so swap would be cheaper and simpler.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure it would be more expensive to repair but I don't see it being harder to troubleshoot or repair. You would still need to check voltage at the actuators and motor and if the physical components test ok then u know you need to send the stereo unit in for repair or replacement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts