Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I own a 2002 Ford Mustang V6 and this problem could happen to my car but this is about my girl's car which is a 1989 BMW 525i and the spark plugs are getting oil on them, I asked the mechanic who inspected the car for $80 and told me the Block is NOT cracked. What else can be the problem and is it easy enough for me to fix with limited tools? I figure it could be the piston rings but what else?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I hear that BMW's have common valve cover failures. That could be your problem. Not sure how they are set up, but they may have spark boot gaskets too, my Mitsubishi did.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you're getting oil on the outside of the plugs then it's probably your valve cover gasket or grommet.

If you're getting oil on the electrode or the part of the spark plug that's inside the engine, then your rings could be bad or your intake valve guides could be worn.

New rings requires a complete rebuild pretty much, but new valve guides just require a rebuilt head.

Some things you can do to help a little bit is to run some hyperlube or power punch in your oil as this helps to seal things up a bit, but it doesn't really fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks greatly guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.