Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen the Autometer triple gauge pod for our cars that fits on the dash over the center console, there's a picture and link below.

Auto Meter 10050 - Auto Meter Dash Pods – SummitRacing.com

After having this pod for 6 months or so I can definatively say DON'T buy it. Not unless you're willing to put effort into making it work.

-It advertises you can run the gauge wires through the defroster vents. Respectfully no you can't. Oh I know some people have managed it but overall it's not worth the hastle when you can just drill a hole in the dash.

-It's poorly assembled. Mine had a ragged edge where it was cut and the gauge face was glued in with a big gap on one side. Not really noticeable when it's installed but even so. And none of the others I've personally seen are any better, quality control is low.

-The main reason I'm posting about this now is that with the summer heat mine is bowing outwards and is no longer flush with the dash. I lay this on a stupid design flaw in the tabs that attach to the defroster vents, they go in horizontally instead of straight and this forces the entire pod to bend to fit. Right now I'm contemplating cutting the tabs off and finding another way to secure the back end that doesn't induce structural stress.

All in all this thing is overpriced for the quality. It does look very good when installed properly but that's on you. Hopefully some of you will find this useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've had mine installed for over a year ... no problems. I also ran all my wiring thru the defroster vent, worked fine. If you use the wiring instructions for the CDC pod it's pretty easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I had the 2 gauge pod from Saleen and said no way! the A- pillar pods are much better.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
they do look nice...but for me they might sit a little high. seems like it might obstruct view a bit and mayb even be distracting. im going to go with the vent pods i beleive...looks clean, almost factory

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just finnished mine this weekend so I have no long term experience with it. It fits fine and I see no problems with the way the tabs fit in the vents to make it fit. I did have a problem in that you need to leave the wire leads long enough so that you can pull them through the gauge holes when you attach the pod for the last time. There is a flat bar that has two posts on it. This bar uses double sided tape to attach to the dash pad. The pod has two slots that slides on to the posts and are screwed down. Then the rear tabs are positioned in the vent. You squeese them in a bit so they slide under the rib in the vent. That holds down the rear, toward the window, section. Then you attach the leads to the gauges and slide them in. I thought the pod was a bit high also but Im getting used to it. I am a tall guy and sit up in the seat, so I can see over it no problems... If you like to sit really low I can see where it will block your vision to the right a bit.
I used the CDC instructions to run the wires thru the GAP between the vent and the dash pad. I was confused initally. Though you would run the wires actually thru the vent which is not true. Took the glovebox out, and was able to fish a 3/32 welding wire thru the gap. Pulled it half way up. After I finnished fabbing all the wires I needed for the gauges, which made a nice little bundle, I taped it to the welding wire and pulled them thru. Not a big deal once I figured out how to do it. GA

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I could have saved you some money. I have one on a shelf. I agree with the OP...junk! OP, wit till it starts to rattle incessantly because it no longer sits flush. What a joy that is!:so

I switched over to SOS and that's all I run. Fantastic fit and finish!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Yesterday I tried to compensate for the expansion buckling by cutting the rear tabs a little shorter so they don't bottom out as fast. Afterwards it did sit a bit more flush with the dash, I'm gonna play with it some more today and let you know if the problem is fully solved.

Garyalpusa: Glad your installation worked out for you, just keep an eye on it. Whether or not it expands may depend on things like altitude and the production run, it's hard to say.

Plstang: Yeah mine rattled too but it stopped after a while, I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's seasonal.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Don't worry...it'll start rattling again.:so

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I could have saved you some money. I have one on a shelf. I agree with the OP...junk! OP, wit till it starts to rattle incessantly because it no longer sits flush. What a joy that is!:so

I switched over to SOS and that's all I run. Fantastic fit and finish!:bigthumbsup
could you please elaborate a little on the sos? where can we see these? thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was looking at it closer at I think I will try to find the thinnest double sidded tape I can find and put some under the sides where it runs along the dash pad. That will probably stop the rattles that might develop. GA

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only problem with adding double sided tape to the mix is that it will make things messy if you have to remove the pod for gauge maintenance, etc. But probably not everyone messes with it as much as I do.

Incidentally I finnished cutting down the tabs, now the pod is about as flush with the dash as when it was new. There is still a considerable gap near the defroster vents though if you choose to look there. The only real solution might still be to remove the tabs altogether so the pod can expand without interference.

Ultimately Autometer should have spent another 70 cents to mount hooks on the underside of the pod so you could push it into place without having to put stress on the pod housing. Would've made for a cleaner looking install too. As it is this product comes off as a "cheaply made over expensive cash cow to ride out the depression" kind of thing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
could you please elaborate a little on the sos? where can we see these? thanks
The SOS uses a factory pillar and attaches the "bullets" to it. It can rattle under certain circumstances, but for an aftermarket part, the quality and fit is unbeatable. I am super happy with mine, especially when I see my brother's autometer in his vette. Much better than some vacuum formed ABS junk. The color matches perfect..

I got mine from Lethal Performance for about $138 (triple for the convertible).

S

·
0 Posts
It's always nice to get a "heads up" thread so thanks for the scoop. Hopefully the adjustments you're making to the tabs will help.

I don't have a need for any extra gauges at this point but when I do I'll probably go with the pillar style.

:bigthumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.