Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k i know that the ignition upgrade does very little if anything noticeable to how the car preforms, unless you have FI. but the question is, are they more noticeable when one has a tune from bama or tilman?

theoretically one would say yes because who ever is writing the tune has less limitations if you will; but i wanted to hear from people who have both a tune and the live wire upgrade. i would love to have them and be able to say "yea.... I've got live wires" lol but id rather spend my money on something more noticeable like sway bars considering i'm a 20 year old with low income. but if the response is a lot better with a tune i might be tempted into getting them now.:gringreen

ty in advance

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have them on my car and I could tell a difference in acceleration right off the bat. I did re gap my spark plugs to .065 rather than the stock .044 or whatever it is. I also have a CAI and tune but the tune doesn't account for the livewires. I am sure you could get a little more bang for your buck if you did have them tune for it because you could have more fuel with a hotter spark.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have em on my xcharger and I can say no appreciable difference. No gains in 1/4 mile times and no gains in mpg.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i could tell right away, my throttle was more responsive, and it ran smoother. now with that in mind, this is not any kind of huge thing. that was after i had dual exaust and before i added the cai and tune. i was in the 50,000 range on miles and you should replace your wires around 60,000 under normal maintenance anyway. good time to upgrade. with all the mods i have that claim improved milage, i havent noticed any more than 1 maybe 2 in mpg gains at best. but i havent had a chance to take a long trip with the 91 performance tune yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the granatellis coil and wires on my car. car had less than 4k on when i put them on little better gas mpg and better acceleration. but if i was short on cash I'd go sway bars before power. better to get the car to handle the power upgrades first.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I have the granatellis coil and wires on my car. car had less than 4k on when i put them on little better gas mpg and better acceleration. but if i was short on cash I'd go sway bars before power. better to get the car to handle the power upgrades first.
i agree. the sway bar(s) made a great improvement for the money. the rear should be a must do thing for everyone.:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don't think you're going to see any improvement if your stock parts are in good condition.

Even when Bamachips was tuning the X, he didn't see anything on the dyno from the coil.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think there is a tune for coil and wires.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what i'm probably gonna do is by some yellow accel wires and cut them myself for the look. i'm at about 55k now so probably need to change them out anyway.

ill use that 180 to buy gt take off front and rear sway bars =)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
so what i'm probably gonna do is by some yellow accel wires and cut them myself for the look. i'm at about 55k now so probably need to change them out anyway.

ill use that 180 to buy gt take off front and rear sway bars =)
get the sway bars for sure while you still can.the takeoff parts are dwindling. i wouldnt mess around cutting wires.:nono: get a set made to fit. i`m still convinced that the increased voltage and spark is doing some good. i`m also pretty sure tillmans was able to take that into consideration with my tunes. the only way you could see anything on a dyno or any test equipment is if you ran it stock, then ran it with the hi-po coil, wires and plugs. i have no regrets whatsoever. :shiny:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice input.

then maybe ill end up getting the wires later.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Voltage depends on the spark plug gap. The bigger the gap, the more voltage required to jump the gap.

If you run stock gaps, then the higher voltage capability of the coil is wasted.

Some of the X-charger guys were running wide gaps with that coil/wire setup, and since have gone back to the originally recommended gaps due to misfire problems.

I picked up a few tenths mpg when I went from stock wires to MSD wires. But the stock wires had 30k miles on them and a few had really high resistance.

Don't let the super conductor or low resistance claims fool you though.

Supposedly the low resistance is achieved by a fine metal wire, but the high voltage is still relying on carbon inside the cables.

So the metal part of the wires doesn't contribute to any performance improvement. It's mainly good for advertising hype.

Good quality aftermarket cables can still be helpful due to the durable large diameter cabling and insulation.

One drawback can be that once the carbon wears outs from cable flex and handling, the metal wire will still show low resistance when you check with an test meter. So you might think your wires are still ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.