Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don't think you're going to see any improvement if your stock parts are in good condition.

Even when Bamachips was tuning the X, he didn't see anything on the dyno from the coil.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Voltage depends on the spark plug gap. The bigger the gap, the more voltage required to jump the gap.

If you run stock gaps, then the higher voltage capability of the coil is wasted.

Some of the X-charger guys were running wide gaps with that coil/wire setup, and since have gone back to the originally recommended gaps due to misfire problems.

I picked up a few tenths mpg when I went from stock wires to MSD wires. But the stock wires had 30k miles on them and a few had really high resistance.

Don't let the super conductor or low resistance claims fool you though.

Supposedly the low resistance is achieved by a fine metal wire, but the high voltage is still relying on carbon inside the cables.

So the metal part of the wires doesn't contribute to any performance improvement. It's mainly good for advertising hype.

Good quality aftermarket cables can still be helpful due to the durable large diameter cabling and insulation.

One drawback can be that once the carbon wears outs from cable flex and handling, the metal wire will still show low resistance when you check with an test meter. So you might think your wires are still ok.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.